However, I have managed to recreate the problem with 2 simple Internet explorer 7 .htm files. I managed to replace the Oracle form app with "sub.htm" and still have the problem.
The symptom is that my "main.htm" has 2 simple functions in it. One is called onload in the main.htm. This first function can call blur(), moveto() or close() successfully, but here I have it just calling resize(). It works fine.
I have tried this with IE7 on XP and IE8 on win 7.
<h1>My First Heading</h1>
<a href="c:\personal\html\sub.htm" TARGET="_blank">GoSub</a>
<h1>My sub window</h1>
<button style="width:100;height:100" onClick="window.close()">GoBack!</button>