Ideas about freelancing - Good or bad?
I've been a student studying web design and development over the past 3-4 years, and now the time has come for a leap head-first into the demanding industry! Coming fresh out of education, I wanted to get some shared opinions, thoughts and ideas about "freelancing" from those who have had extensive experience, as this seems to be the direction most of my close colleagues are heading.:cool:
So for those who are up for a bit of a discussion, Iíve made a few questions below! Bear in mind Iím getting a feel for whether you support the idea of freelancing or not and they're pretty random questions I have!
1. Do you find that freelancing works for you rather than being an employee? why?
2. Do you actually enjoy freelancing?
Some of you no doubt have fussy clients who frustrate you to tears, making it a nightmare...
3. What do you spend most time doing?
Is it promoting you, blogging, actually doing work, or doing other types of work for larger firms?
4. Do you find most clients fussy? If so, What do you put in place to minimise going back and forth?
I've seen a lot of people talk about making set wireframes, colour schemes for clients to choose from, pre-set designs etc. Do you use similar methods?
5. How have you progressed to and/or from freelancing?
From uni to freelance? Did you go from employment into freelancing because of the job? Did you feel you needed more industry experience before hitting freelancing? Have you built up a good client base and progressed onto employing your own staff?
6. What are the most important tools that most clients require you to use?
A lot of hype is placed on Wordpress, Joomla and the like these days. Do you agree these are essential or would you say theyíre over-rated?
7. Is competition high where youíre based, and does it affect you a lot?
Some of you no doubt specialise in a particular area (be it html, php, perl, old systems, new systems, cmsís etc) so competition might not be too much of a problem.
8. How do you manage your time?
Do you find it useful to make a project plan or do you just wing itÖ
9. How much time do you spend promoting yourself?
I know they're pretty random, but any responses would be greatly appreciated! Cheers :p