www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: E-Commerce

Question E-Commerce

Hello,

I am about to start developing a fairly large, and media/content rich, web site where I'm going to be selling high quality photo prints of a caribbean island.

Along with the products (which will be the prints in varying sizes and subject matter) I want to do podcasting to describe the geographical and historical data that goes along with each print.

I'm also going to have many pages that are non-ecommerce in nature.

I am trying to figure out the best possible solution, and hosting company, to fulfill all of my web site needs. I've googled this stuff until I'm blue in the face and I've found some sites offering packages, but everything varies from pricing to features.

I have been a web developer for 8 years but I'm wanting to get out of the coding aspect of it (unless it's a small amount) so I'm not looking to build a total solution from scratch which is why I'm looking for a package that is flexible and will allow me to go under the hood and add/edit the code where I need to in order to add links for podcasting, etc. I've never been around an ecommerce site which is part of my problem.

I was hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction.

The things that are most important to me are:
    Security
    High Bandwidth usage
    Easy to use order fulfillment
    Cross selling (customers who bought this product also purchased...)
    Podcasting
    Ability to sell digital goods (wallpapers, screensavers, etc)
    Ability for customers to leave feedback
    Access to the header tags so that I can add handheld device and print friendly versions of non-ecommerce content

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

thank you,
    Ron

With a project with that type of scope your better off looking at one of those packages you have to pay some money for...

Basicly what your looking for is a site like Istockphoto.com or Jupiterimages.com

Just adding a couple interesting features like the blog.

I'm not about to go and look up this type of software but give us an idea of what you've found out there for a premade software package. I just don't think your really going to be happy with much else.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

thanks

thanks, but that's not really what I'm looking for is something like interland.com's ecommerce package.. something like that. Just not sure what the best one might be which is why I'm asking here

Your looking for a host with a built in shopping cart...

Well I'm sorry I thought you wanted a real option. Rather than just a shopping cart.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

um...

i'm not wanting to do all the intricate web development aspects.. just something simple.

have fun!

Thread Information