www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we paid too much for web development ?

Question Please review our website

Hi,

Can anybody please review www.fameo.co.uk.

[sorry, our developer asked me to remove any cost information. ]

Thank you an advance
    Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver_Gem; 04-12-2006 at 02:21 AM. Reason: developer reequest

Well it's surely not a bargain, but considering the amount of scripting involved, you weren't taken to the cleaners. The site is a bit spare visually, but it's the functionality that you pay for with an e-commerce site. They also (from what you said) did EVERYTHING including create content for you. That costs more.

They did put a commented copyright notice in the html - surely if you paid for their services (5000 USD), you'd own the copyright? Work for hire is normally like this, I thought.

Unless they specificly told you before hand? I thought by default work for hire gave the copyrights to the employer unless they made it clear before.

The price you payed is quite high!
    Would you need another site hehe

did you notice what happens when you click on the "home" link at the bottom?

And hoboben is right, at this price you should really own the copyrights

Well it's a good quality design + code, and it seems to do alot as well. So I wouldn't say that $5K was too much, you could have found yourself paying a lot more.
    Are they continuing to maitain the site or are they just leaving you with it?
    What about hosting, are they providing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by LiLcRaZyFuZzY
    did you notice what happens when you click on the "home" link at the bottom?
    No, what does happen?

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    No, what does happen?
    how weird, it was looping indefinately for me, now it's okay..erm..

Are they continuing to maitain the site or are they just leaving you with it?
    Yes, they are, although we need pay monthly for that.

What about hosting, are they providing that?No, what does happen?
    Yes, they provide hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboBen
    They did put a commented copyright notice in the html - surely if you paid for their services (5000 USD), you'd own the copyright? Work for hire is normally like this, I thought..
    We have "Copyright 2006, Fameo Ltd." in the bottom of each page, or it's not enough? Also, they actually did everything, from logo to every item 3d rendering and they gave us their own software to manage inventory, mail bucnh of other stuff which I don't fully understand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well it's surely not a bargain, but considering the amount of scripting involved, you weren't taken to the cleaners. The site is a bit spare visually, but it's the functionality that you pay for with an e-commerce site. They also (from what you said) did EVERYTHING including create content for you. That costs more.
    Thanks for the respond. Can you tell how much will be a bargain for something like they did?

In my opinion, I think you got a fair deal. There's a fair amount of scripting to be done, and 5000 USD is a very reasonable price.

What you should have done to save money, is use an open source shopping cart, such as Zen Cart or OsCommerce, and get them to customize it for you. That way they're doing the design, and not design + scripting, thus reducing labour hours, and reducing your costs. Besides, since Zen Cart and OsCommerce have been developed for years by the open source community, they're almost guaranteed to have more functionality, better security, and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM
    Besides, since Zen Cart and OsCommerce have been developed for years by the open source community, they're almost guaranteed to have more functionality, better security, and stability.
    that's the real power of open source!

In my opinion, I think you got a fair deal. There's a fair amount of scripting to be done, and 5000 USD is a very reasonable price.

What you should have done to save money, is use an open source shopping cart, such as Zen Cart or OsCommerce, and get them to customize it for you. That way they're doing the design, and not design + scripting, thus reducing labour hours, and reducing your costs. Besides, since Zen Cart and OsCommerce have been developed for years by the open source community, they're almost guaranteed to have more functionality, better security, and stability.
    We tried OsCommerce ( don't know about Zen Cart though), but it doesn't support what we need and as far as I remember it was a very basic POS with simple catalogue build-in. Perhaps it's good for mom and pop shops, but you can't seriously recommend to use it for business?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Gem
    Perhaps it's good for mom and pop shops, but you can't seriously recommend to use it for business?

You're very misinformed my friend. One of my clients websites uses Zen Cart (which is a modified version of OsC) and has over 200 users at any given time of day and over $30 000 sales every month.

Just because it's free it does not mean it's not meant for a serious business. Zen Cart and OsC are by far one of the most advanced shopping carts available.

I only have experience with Zen Cart but their functionality is nearly identical. You can track customers, items, inventory, sales reports, products viewed reports, export to quickbooks, print invoices, manage clients, bulk e-mail and lots more.

The only time I would imagine you would need a more powerful shopping cart is if you run a very very large scale store such as Amazon.

Out of curiosity, what were you looking for in a POS system that OsC did not have?

You're very misinformed my friend. One of my clients websites uses Zen Cart (which is a modified version of OsC) and has over 200 users at any given time of day and over $30 000 sales every month.
    It's not about how many users or sales you have every month, because you can have above probably with one page and paypal account without any backend. Well, we had it on Ebay without any website.

Just because it's free it does not mean it's not meant for a serious business. Zen Cart and OsC are by far one of the most advanced shopping carts available.
    I said, that when we review it, it didn't meet our requirements. So, nothing against open source. Besides, company which developed website for us, also provided all backend software free of charge. Actually the reason I wonder if we pay to much and post on this forum, is because I can't figure out "what's the catch", since even from Elance.com we got $30.000 lowest bid for our project. Now imagine what web agenesis from high street asked us.

I only have experience with Zen Cart but their functionality is nearly identical. You can track customers, items, inventory, sales reports, products viewed reports, export to quickbooks, print invoices, manage clients, bulk e-mail and lots more.

The only time I would imagine you would need a more powerful shopping cart is if you run a very very large scale store such as Amazon.

Out of curiosity, what were you looking for in a POS system that OsC did not have?
    We were looking for something like Netsuite < http://www.netsuite.com/>, but with better catalogue and CMS capabilities and on our server ( not as ASP). OsC POS is basically is a single sale channel system ( shopping cart), and perhaps it's very good and easy, but we needed multi channel system, because our pricing, availability and sale terms greatly depends on where, when and to whom we sell.

Anyway, thank you for your comments.

Oliver

I'd consider it a deal. You got everything you needed (extra pink!). I'm sure a lot of people get charged 2 or 3x more all the time. They do a good job with XHTML and accessibility to top. Hope the monthly costs aren't cutting into the profits

BUT, their SSL certificate on their store expired... stone them!

Out of curiosity, how long did it take them to finish the site?

Thread Information