Thread: Just for fun: Bad code still loads

Hybrid View

Just for fun: Bad code still loads

Just for the fun of it I made a page using as much bad/missing/deprecated code as possible to see how far a browser (tested in FF and IE) can be pushed and still render the page as intended (and also serve as a 'what not to do' example). Yes, I am including IE in the 'browser' category, but only grudgingly.

Amazing what will actually load up even considering IE quirks mode. Can anyone tell me why this works?

Last edited by Kevey; 04-05-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    css/xhtml firefox dsl ubuntu

American, living in Toronto, ON. CANADA

I get some 27 'warnings'

'Warnings' are not the same as 'errors'. And in the absence of a valid !doctype statement, all broswers (incl. Fx) will attempt to render in a 'quirks' mode. And I have seen pages with FAR more wrong in it than this one... some pages I've seen have HUNDREDS of 'warnings' and DOZENS of actual bona~fide errors...

Put in a valid !doctype statement and see if this still the case with your test page...
    Last edited by WebJoel; 04-06-2006 at 09:16 AM.

You could even use a transitional doctype, and most (all?) of those deprecated elements would still be valid.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Thread Information