www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Just for fun: Bad code still loads

Just for fun: Bad code still loads

Just for the fun of it I made a page using as much bad/missing/deprecated code as possible to see how far a browser (tested in FF and IE) can be pushed and still render the page as intended (and also serve as a 'what not to do' example). Yes, I am including IE in the 'browser' category, but only grudgingly.

Amazing what will actually load up even considering IE quirks mode. Can anyone tell me why this works?

http://kevey.com/goodbad/bad.html
    Last edited by Kevey; 04-05-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    css/xhtml firefox dsl ubuntu

I get some 27 'warnings'

'Warnings' are not the same as 'errors'. And in the absence of a valid !doctype statement, all broswers (incl. Fx) will attempt to render in a 'quirks' mode. And I have seen pages with FAR more wrong in it than this one... some pages I've seen have HUNDREDS of 'warnings' and DOZENS of actual bona~fide errors...

Put in a valid !doctype statement and see if this still the case with your test page...
    Last edited by WebJoel; 04-06-2006 at 08:16 AM.

You could even use a transitional doctype, and most (all?) of those deprecated elements would still be valid.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information