www.webdeveloper.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Attn: Expert coders!

That's the problem with frameworks and libraries. You have to know the project ahead of time and know the capabilities of the system. If you need to deviate from it in any way, it gets messy.

I remember trying Ruby on Rails. It's quite terrible, in my opinion. It makes easy stuff easier and slightly complicated to hard stuff near impossible. Of course, if you're a developer trying to learn RonR, you already know how to do the easy stuff by hand.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by multimediocrity View Post
    That's the problem with frameworks and libraries. You have to know the project ahead of time and know the capabilities of the system. If you need to deviate from it in any way, it gets messy.

I remember trying Ruby on Rails. It's quite terrible, in my opinion. It makes easy stuff easier and slightly complicated to hard stuff near impossible. Of course, if you're a developer trying to learn RonR, you already know how to do the easy stuff by hand.
    wowaaa. Ruby on Rails, yea I remember, one year ago, I tried 4 days to repair a damaged code (some smart guy - he has been fired before completing the task - has modified something in the middle of the coding "core", but I never found entirely what and why - there were too many and hard to be followed changes within thousands of code lines) - and believe me, I tried my best. Instead, it took me 2 extra days to create another clear and rather simple javascript code which did everything the client needed. Well, half of the first extra day was used mainly to persuade the client that was the best way. Now, I got the money for 6*8 hours. Good for me, bad for him. That job was to be done in 12-14 hours by far from the very start, but the client was stubborn enough to use the good Ace only at the end. This is the real life...

I don't say frameworks are evil. They are to be used, now and then, with care. Except that too many people think about frameworks as the "modern" and "complete" substitute for the genuine Javascript. Which is a awful misjudgement.
    Last edited by Kor; 09-10-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Share on Google+

hehe... maybe I should start a "framework horror stories" thread.
    Share on Google+

I reckon you need to update the design more than the code. Well, at least as well as the code. Make text larger. Try to cram a little less information into the page. More white space. Change those horrible blue-underlined links. Give it more bold colours.
    Last edited by nottRobin; 12-30-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Share on Google+

That's good advice, NottRobin.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information