www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: Expert coders!

Expert coders! Need your help!

I'm looking to update the scripts over at JavaScript Source (JSS) and need some good coders who are willing to take on a challenge.

Here's the plan: Search through the code and see what you can bring up-to-date (i.e., DOM methods, unobtrusive, etc.). (There are some real old ones on there.) Submit them to me using the form on the Web site, located at: http://javascript.internet.com/contribute/

Be sure to make note that you are updating one of the scripts. List which one, the URL of the original script on the JSS site, and where I can find the updated script. If you feel the script is no longer valid, send me an e-mail and tell me why.

In return, I will post your name and Web site for the update, giving you a link back to your site from JSS.

You are free to do as many as you like. If you have any questions, you can contact me at: lunderwood@jupitermedia.com
    Last edited by LeeU; 05-01-2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Changed title
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill
    Share on Google+

First at all, you should replace all over the deprecated
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">...<SCRIPT>
    with
    <script type="text/javascript">...</script>

It is not absolutely required, but I guess that all the HTML uppercased (or camelcased) tags, attributes, events should be re-written in lowercase (to be compatible with XHTML as well)

As for the rest... a lot of codes are old enough. It would be a long term task to bring them all to the up-to-date form.
    Share on Google+

This thread is reason-enough all future script submissions shouldn't be excepted from just anyone prior to being thoroughly tested, re-written to standards, and comfirmed to be cross-browser compatible or to at least noted in the browsers it has been tested-on. A longer submission process should instituted. I think another important factor is user feedback. e.g. php.net provides an "add note" user feedback section. http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php
    Just being able to distinguish, from user feedback, scripts that are said to work from the ones that are said not to work is already enough information to allow good coders to easily know which scripts can be improved upon. That way the good coders won't be losing as much time trying to find scripts that can be improved-upon and would ultimately encourage them. Also a user-rating system would also help identify scripts that can be improved upon. Provide a field in the rating "Room for improvement" along with an "over all rating" field if you wish.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 05-10-2006 at 08:32 AM.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Kor
    First at all, you should replace all over the deprecated
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">...<SCRIPT>
    with
    <script type="text/javascript">...</script>
    In all of the new additions this is being done where necessary. Most of the new ones are being listed with instructions on placing them in external files, thereby negating the need for these tags.

It is not absolutely required, but I guess that all the HTML uppercased (or camelcased) tags, attributes, events should be re-written in lowercase (to be compatible with XHTML as well)
    Once again, implemented in the new additions.

As for the rest... a lot of codes are old enough. It would be a long term task to bring them all to the up-to-date form.
    That is the whole point of this thread....
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimater
    This thread is reason-enough all future script submissions shouldn't be excepted from just anyone prior to being thoroughly tested, re-written to standards, and comfirmed to be cross-browser compatible or to at least noted in the browsers it has been tested-on.
    The scripts are now tested in IE and FF (I need to add Opera to the process).
    I think another important factor is user feedback. e.g. php.net provides an "add note" user feedback section. http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php
    Just being able to distinguish, from user feedback, scripts that are said to work from the ones that are said not to work is already enough information to allow good coders to easily know which scripts can be improved upon. That way the good coders won't be losing as much time trying to find scripts that can be improved-upon and would ultimately encourage them. Also a user-rating system would also help identify scripts that can be improved upon. Provide a field in the rating "Room for improvement" along with an "over all rating" field if you wish.
    Excellent idea, Ultimater. I'll look into it.
    Lee

Share on Google+

I'd personally help with the updating process however I think it a better idea for people like me to submit new excellent scripts rather than improve upon old ones without potential. A script I have been working on which has been tested in IE, Firefox, and Opera which demonstrates how to use the normal browser-interface scrollbars as input adjustments.
    http://javascript.aplustv.com/colors/colorpicker.htm
    Don't add it to your collection just yet. I'm still in the middle of re-writting it to make it cleaner, easier to read, and easier to reuse. I'm aiming in-the-end to make it as easy as:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var a=new AdjustmentH("100px","10000px");
    a.onchange=function(p){document.getElementById("countPercent").firstChild.data=Math.round(p*100)+"%"}
    document.getElementById("someDIV").appendChild(a.element);
    </script>
    to create a new horizontal scrollbar adjustment. (I plan to make a vertical one too)
    I'll send you a PM, email, or submit via your contribute link when it's finished.

Maybe, without a vow, after I finish up with this script I'll see if I can enhance upon the others.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 05-10-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    Share on Google+

Great, Ultimater! That's also what I'm looking for ... new scripts. Just use the submit form on the site, that'll be the best.

I'm looking for expert coders to help with the older ones because they need to be either brought up-to-date, or eliminated. Might be good for some projects.
    Lee

Share on Google+

From the bottom of the yellow box on the scripts:
    Code:
    <p><div align="center">
    <font face="arial, helvetica" size"-2">Free JavaScripts provided<br>
    by <a href="http://javascriptsource.com">The JavaScript Source</a></font>
    </div><p>
    align is deprecated, paragraph elements can't contain block level elements, font element is deprecated, paragraph is closed incorrectly, instead another paragraph is opened.
    Code:
    <p style="text-align:center; font:xx-small 'arial', 'helvetica', sans-serif;">
      Free JavaScripts provided<br>
      by <a href="http://javascriptsource.com">The JavaScript Source</a>
    </p>
    I'll have a look around see what other scripts could use updating.

A couple of suggestions though, for scripts that require multiple files, have a zip file that users can download. It just makes it easier to retrieve all of the necessary componants.

Also, how about three boxes, one for JavaScript, one for HTML and one for CSS (if required)?
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

Excellent suggestions, David. I'll look into them. I'm adding style sheets to those pages to take care of a lot of that.
    Lee

Share on Google+

I may have todo that i learned javascript from javascript.internet.com about 5 years ago

Web Standards Make Sense!
    Share on Google+

lol.. nice anyway.. do you have a site for learning C# ?
    Share on Google+

Let's stick to the topic at hand. Off topic questions can be asked in a different thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks to those who helped with the suggestions. I will be changing the script pages here very shortly. Stay tuned.
    Lee

Share on Google+

Duh... I don't know what you mean by off topic, the guy said he learned javascript on internet... I wanted to know if he knew a good site to learn C#
    gna

Last edited by JPnyc; 10-19-2006 at 08:11 AM. Reason: No advertising of non-web design/development commercial sites. Thank you
    Share on Google+

Look at the topic of the thread. I was asking for suggestions on the JavaScript Source Web site. That's the topic. Your question would be better answered in a different forum which relates to that, i.e., the Coffee Lounge (since we don't have a C# forum).
    Lee

Share on Google+

I might be out of topics... but, do you need articles about "hot" issues in javascript? Upon my knowlege I might bring some, if you want....
    Share on Google+

Thread Information