dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Printing special characters

Printing special characters

On my website I had something like:
    Caption --> [IMG] to label a picture, so I thought I would be clever and replace the '-->' with → to give a nicer arrow. However although it is fine on screen, when I came to print the page the arrow was replaced by a square, a space and an '@' which suggests to me that there is some sort of font problem. Any ideas anyone ?

Smile

Okay...I am by no means an expert but HTML language is different from the language used by word processing programs like WordPerfect....

So certain special characters probably wonb't be recognized by your printer then.

I imagine there would be a way to download special font or something for the printer to utilize...

Be sure to set a charset for your HTML document.

Jona

I thought CHARSET was pretty standard setting in HTML...if not automatic....

The charset required to use the arrow character that gizmo wants. The browser automatically has a charset set, but if you use a character that is not in that charset in the document, it will not display properly, which is why you should use a META tag to define the charset.

I'm not sure if this works, because I don't commonly try to print things out; however if it does not work, there should be an at-rule for print media to specify this in CSS (possibly).

Jona

I have been using the line
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> in the header. Perhaps I should try a different one.

Thread Information