www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Opera Is Lame!

Opera Is Lame!

I was trying to opera and mozilla proof my site to find that opera messes up all the borders on my data grids and wont read some of my css borders! Its really a pain the but opera also messes up text boxes and wont read all of my vb. Opera is really a pain in the butt and I think I preffer mozilla over opera. My site does fine on mozilla even the mozilla has its downsides too. Oh yea the download situation on opera just ANNOYS ME TO DEATH. You have to use that stupid tab strip to view them and well I just hate it.

Okay, if you say so.

speaking of opera...

the website for the New York City Opera has it's own problems (check out the very interesting scrolling text... among other problems )

http://www.nycopera.com/www/tickets/group/dining.cfm

and I haven't even bothered to download the latest version of the opera browser (v6.02 remains funny enough for me )

k

EDIT:
    and quite ironically... it looks even worse when viewed in Opera!
    Last edited by khaki; 05-31-2003 at 07:16 PM.

LOL TEST TEST TEST!!!! LOL

what the heck, CFM? I have never seen that extention is that a php or cgi extention?

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    what the heck, CFM? I have never seen that extention is that a php or cgi extention?
    ColdFusion

ahhhh so that is a cold fusion site... I am not impressed I cant judge the product by that site though lol thats like judjing asp.net by my site . Cold fusion eh... So what exactly is that I have heard many things is that like a server side version of flash or what is the deal with it?

Originally posted by khaki
    the website for the New York City Opera has it's own problems (check out the very interesting scrolling text... among other problems )

http://www.nycopera.com/www/tickets/group/dining.cfm
    EDIT:
    and quite ironically... it looks even worse when viewed in Opera!
    well... version 7 just crashes. and doesn't display anything.

Dave

Cold fusion eh... So what exactly is that I have heard many things is that like a server side version of flash or what is the deal with it?
    Here's Macromedia's description:
    With ColdFusion MX, you can build and deploy powerful web applications and web services with far less training time and fewer lines of code than ASP, PHP, and JSP. Now available in versions that support industry leading J2EE application servers, ColdFusion MX enables web application developers to easily harness the power of the Java platform. Over 10,000 customers and hundreds of thousands of developers worldwide rely on ColdFusion to deliver powerful web applications in record time.

Here's my description:
    It's another server side language. Having experience with CF, I'd say it's great to use but the learning curve is steep.

Havik

In response to Opera. I use version 7.1 . It lags and freezes at times but so does IE, Netscape and Mozilla. I don't prefer it nor do I shun it. But I wonder, is it difficult to code for browsers besides IE because so much information out there is built around IE?

Havik

But I wonder, is it difficult to code for browsers besides IE because so much information out there is built around IE?
    I weened myself out of the "IE only" mind-set when I decided to code strictly for Netscape (and that's how I became a Netscape girl too! ).

But anyway... I figured that if it would work in Netscape...
    then it certainly should work in IE (and almost without exception... it does).

That doesn't mean that it will always look the same (grrrrr) but....
    that's a different story

anyways...
    yes... a lot of stuff out there is built for IE (by knucklheads lol)...
    but you just gotta test it in Netscape (or whatever) and if it doesn't work... forget it (well... at least in my opinion... of which I share freely lol)

I love Microsoft but I refuse to allow them to own the world (although I don't really mind it they rule it)... so the only way to keep them even a little bit honest is to code for cross-browser compatability. Otherwise they will run more amok than they already are

haven't use my full compliment of "smiley guys" yet... but I think I'm done chattering for now ......
    k

really need to cool it with the "smiley guys". ugh

I know a guy who uses asp and cf together and he seems to know what hes doing but I dont thing he likes cf very much. Your description of cf was a lot like I though the thing is so I was not too far off but it does not do the animation like flash but... I guess thats not what it was designed for.

There may be added features that macromedia decided to install into CF but I'm haven't looked into that. I think both products were created without much acknowledgement of that fact that the same company created them.

Havik

Thread Information