www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mail Felony

Mail Felony

Is it a felony for a parent to open their child's mail when he/she is over 18 years of age?

This is mail from the mail man, not the internet
    My settings

Browser :: FireFox 1.5
    Resolution :: 1152x864
    Connection :: Cable Modem 2Mbs

Of course it is. Its a felony to open anyones mail (well at least here in the UK and in the US to my knowledge). Why do you want to open your offsprings mail anyway?? Theres far better ways to spy on your children, but once there 18 you shouldnt have to spy on them if you did a good enough job raising them. But if you still wanna peek use a kettle and steam it open and the gum will steam the paper apart, then use an iron through baking paper to seal it back down and draw the moisture out so no-one knows you ever peeked.

Not sure, but it is probably legal if the 18 year old still lives at home, or the mail is at the parents home. I say this because I know it is legal for one room mate to allow the police to search another room mates room, as long as both are listed on the lease.
    Jon

It might depend on who owns the computer that the mail is on. Certainly it is legal for employers to read employees mail on the company computers in many countries and employees have been fired for sending emails with inappropriate content.

Laws vary from country to country though so if you are concerned about the legality of something you should look up the appropriate law that applies in your country or seek legal advice.
    Stephen

hey Felgall .. the little guy is on about postal mail although ive worked for companies like that and know what you mean felgall, one company i worked for even spied on employees during break periods (thats the UK for you, the majority get away with many felonies). And wamboid, the police can search a room or house if they have a warrant regardless whether you like it or not and in house share situations they usually get a warrant for the whole house not just one room (and they do this as well in UK although US police can be more assertive/agressive apparently). But postal mail is a different story, its a federal offense to open others postal mail plain and simple as its governed by different regulations than electronic mail. And if you have to open your own childs whom is a adult then the child rearing job has not been executed properly .. plain and simple ... lol and the little guy, are you searching for your kettle and iron?

I was speaking of a search without a warrant. Of course they can search anywhere a warrant says, but if one person on a lease gives permission, an entire house can be searched legally without a warrant.
    Jon

Missed seeing the line in red that specified snailmail. In that instance I guess it would depend on who the mail is addressed to. If the address doesn't have their name in full then you might get away with claiming that it was opened in error because you thought it was for you.
    Stephen

true felgall if its just initials and you could say you werent wearing glasses and possibly get away with it ... its just messed up rummaging through another adults mail because you dont trust them ... and i didnt know that wamboid ... but thankfully when ive shared before, peeps i have done with, would have slammed the door in police's face (and thats being polite!!) maybe laws might be slightly differrent or the same across the pond here in UK though **shrugs**

When it happened to me, it was actually kind of funny. I was in the military at the time living off post with another soldier. A friend and I were almost arrested in a town about 2 hours away. We hadn't really done anything, but were basically just in the wrong place at the wrong time and looked suspicious. We were both released in a few hours with no charges.

When we got home, the Military Police had picked up on it and we got called down to their special investigation office for questioning. To begin with they thought we were trying to hide something because there really was no good reason for the police in the other town to detain us to start with. During our questioning, the local police came and searched my house at the request of the on post MPs. My room mate let them in partially because he knew they wouldn't find anything, and because MP's can be a little inimidating. The even bugged our phone with his permission. Of course he let me know about the bugs without their knowledge. At the end of the interrogation, the police told me about the search and asked if I wanted to change my story. Of course I didn't.

Now we will see how nerdy everyone is. I was supposed to meet my other friend at a bar at 7:00 that night, and it was Monday. I called him and told him about the house being searched, but not about the bugs. Then I told him about a book that I saw at the store earlier in the day that was really good. (It happened to be a book that I knew he had already read.) I told him he "you should really go buy the book." Then I told him that something has come up and I can't meet him when I said, how about we meet at the same time in 2 days, Wednesday night.

So, when did we meet and why?
    Jon

Thread Information