www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: installing XAMPP on Ubuntu 5.10

installing XAMPP on Ubuntu 5.10

Hi. I had Apache, MySQL, PHP5 running on my system... was i happy? Nooo! I had to have GD library and OpenSSL. So i decided to give XAMPP a try. Unfortunately, i didn't shut the old apache server down correctly. I went into Synaptic package manger and uninstalled the old stuff but when I type

sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start

the result is:

Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.5.2...
    XAMPP: Another web server daemon is already running.
    XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
    XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
    XAMPP for Linux started.

so when i type http://localhost/ into the browser, i get sent to the old directory located at /var/www/apache2-default/

I am running completely local just for instructional purposes.
    So what should i do with the original Apache? Have i succeeded in totally messing up my system? Thanx.
    entropy7 is online now Edit/Delete Message

Still trying-

i type ps -e and i get among all the other stuff:
    7160 ? 00:00:00 apache2
    7161 ? 00:00:00 apache2
    7162 ? 00:00:00 apache2
    7163 ? 00:00:00 apache2
    7164 ? 00:00:00 apache2

i type:
    kill 7160
    kill 7161 ... etc.

more just pop-up. what is doing that?

Time to reboot?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

that is the first thing i thought of.
    the second thing i should a done was search the FAQ on ubuntuforums.org.

there they said: go to system>administration>services where u see apache2 as one of the services. unselect it. For me they ought to create a smiley called "DUH!!"
    thanx

now i am having problems w/ the PHP.

LOL - glad you got the first problem resolved. I only have access to Windows systems right now, so probably won't be much help with any Linux-specific questions.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Why not just use apache, php and mysql from ubnutu self?

type 'sudo apt-cach search php' to find all php packages with php in the name.
    Then install the ones u need trough 'sudo apt-get install packagename' to install it.

to install GD library and openssl
    Code:
    apt-get install libgd2-xpm libgd2-xpm-dev openssl libssl-dev
    hope this solves youre problem.

acemo wrote:
    "to install GD library and openssl
    Code:
    apt-get install libgd2-xpm libgd2-xpm-dev openssl libssl-dev"

Now you tell me!! I was looking for GD library under "g"

That may have been a lot easier. But, I have an extra 40G drive and now that i have already committed, i think will install Ubuntu without any of the AMPP stuff, and then install XAMPP 1.5.2. It has so many different technologies all bundled together, (see below) with sample scripts (that work hopefully) It seemed like a good way to learn about them which is all i want to do at this point. I do wonder:

If you want a really secure web-server is XAMPP the best choice?

Apache 2.2.0, MySQL 5.0.20, PHP 5.1.2 & 4.4.2 & PEAR + SQLite 2.8.17/3.2.8 + multibyte (mbstring) support, Perl 5.8.7, ProFTPD 1.2.10, phpMyAdmin 2.8.0.3, OpenSSL 0.9.8a, GD 2.0.1, Freetype2 2.1.7, libjpeg 6b, libpng 1.2.7, gdbm 1.8.0, zlib 1.2.3, expat 1.2, Sablotron 1.0, libxml 2.4.26, Ming 0.2a, Webalizer 2.01, pdf class 009e, ncurses 5.8, mod_perl 2.0.1, FreeTDS 0.63, gettext 0.11.5, IMAP C-Client 2004e, OpenLDAP (client) 2.3.11, mcrypt 2.5.7, mhash 0.8.18, eAccelerator 0.9.4, cURL 7.13.1, libxslt 1.1.8, phpSQLiteAdmin 0.2, libapreq 2.06-dev, FPDF 1.53, XAMPP Control Panel 0.6

Thread Information