www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Taskbar Scrolling

Hybrid View

Taskbar Scrolling

I can successfully see taskbar scrolling while viewing in IE but Firefox does not show the scrolling, why?

TJ's Custom Computers
    Always Backup your Registry before editing

Taskbar? OIC, you mean the status bar. Fx may disable Javascript access to that by default. I know I don't let Javascript fiddle with mine.
    Last edited by ray326; 05-25-2006 at 09:29 PM.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Errm yeah sorry status bar

So I need to look in the FX settings?
    Can you see the scrolling using FX? Do you use FX?

EDIT

Thanks I resolved the issue. In Tools/Options/Content , on the right side of Enable Javascript click Advanced button, placed a check in Save Statusbar text

Thanks a million

As a tech, Im not sure if this is safe, whats your opinion?
    Last edited by Sugarbaby; 05-25-2006 at 09:41 PM.

It isn't safe because it allows nefarious sites to hide or spoof the hrefs in links.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Quote Originally Posted by ray326
    It isn't safe because it allows nefarious sites to hide or spoof the hrefs in links.
    True. I did an assignment in javascripting class a few years ago that included a status-bar scrolling message which was neat, but we also discussed in-class the importance and implications of such, such as potential for intrusion if this is accessed by remote server. Basically., -do you trust the server's code?
    And, javascript 'fiddlin' with' the status bar also makes the computer apt to get a 'stack-overflow error' (okay, -not sure what that is... I just know that it's bad and results in BSOD on WIN-95 and WIN-98 pretty easily...)

And, javascript 'fiddlin' with' the status bar also makes the computer apt to get a 'stack-overflow error' (okay, -not sure what that is... I just know that it's bad and results in BSOD on WIN-95 and WIN-98 pretty easily...)
    That would make sense, Windows 98 does not release its resources after closing a program. A simple reboot ususally resolves that problem.
    A stack-overflow error happens when memory reserved for internal communication between Windows and certain hardware devices is used up.

IE by default shows this staus bar scrolling but FF needs to have the setting manually set, this is why FF is so much more "safer" that IE.

I don't seem to have a file named Registry in my /etc.

This status bar spoofing is one of those things that's most dangerous with semi-experienced users. Experienced users either disable that capability or understand it can't be trusted otherwise. Bright green users don't even know what it is and may not even have the status bar viewable. But those guys in the middle that "know" that the status bar either has the url of the hovered link or a page-generated message will miss the fact that "page-generated message" my look exactly like a url.

Mac Setting

Well, regardless if it's harmless to enable the script to work or not in the status bar... FYI, the setting to enable this on the Mac is: Firefox/Preferences/Content/Advanced button (next to 'checked' Enable Javascript) /Change status Bar text.

And that fixed your site for me also on Firefox.

C-ya,
    Tracy

Thread Information