www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forum Login?

Forum Login?

Ok im currently using a yaBB forum and I own a gaming site opening soon, BUT one big problem is we have the site and the forum login, I was wondering if theres away to link the logins like say u log into site you get loged into forum and when you signup it does it on site and forum.

I know this is possible but how?

Thanks
    Carl

It can be done, but it's very complex and it's problem filled. We have done it on a couple of sites, and I wish we hadn't. We constantly have trouble with it. My advice is, don't. If you feel you must, then try to use 2 of the same databases, not one oracle and one MySQL, and you had better be a pretty good scripter at whatever serverside language you're using.

The forum isnt using a MySQL DB but site is but im looking into changing to VB as ive always liked the VB forums.
    Money isnt a problem, but I dont really want to pay a coder to do it when I probably could do it but wouldnt know where to start hehe.
    Does any one know where I could maybe find like a step by step how to do it or somthing like that lol.

What languages do you code? Serverside, I mean. If you plan to use vb you'll need to know PHP, because that's what it's coded in. You'll need to duplicate connection strings and SQL statements for the 2 databases. I've never done it myself so I can't tell you if you are better off using 2 separate scripts and having the 1st call the 2nd, or if you could combine the 2 into the one script vb already uses. I would say the first one is probably easier and more foolproof.

Thread Information