www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: target from fireworks pop up menu to table cell

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6

    Question target from fireworks pop up menu to table cell

    Is there any way to do this without using frames?

    I want my page to work dynamically and it needs to be php.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    Take a look at this... looks close to what you are trying to do: http://www.infinitypages.com/research/divinclude.php

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6
    thanx, but not really. I'm trying to get the site content to change without reloading the header banner (site name and logo) or the menu links but within the same browser window - just like you would with frames but not with frames, 'cos frames are bad m'kay.

    The actual code does not need to be in php but the page must be.

    I think there must be some way to do this, because surely reloading a load of graphics (the entire page) each time you just want a bit of text (and the odd picture) to change (e.g. 'about us' to 'contact us') is the worst!

    I don't rate anti-frame policy but must abide.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    The only way to do that would be with javascript, which would mean your site won't work at all for 13% of users. But, if you are interested in how it would be done: http://www.infinitypages.com/researc...divinclude.htm

    Origianially posted by elrick
    because surely reloading a load of graphics (the entire page) each time you just want a bit of text (and the odd picture) to change (e.g. 'about us' to 'contact us') is the worst!
    Nope, using javascript for your navigation, like above, would be even worse....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6
    Thanx for the input - that is interesting to hear.

    Can javascript really only be used by 13% of users - it is used so extensively thoughout the web! Who are the other 87%, how, why? Most of the time you need javascript enabled to do anything! Flash basically just makes things look gucci where as javascript can add functionallity. According to www.infinitypages.com (source: Macromedia) 98.3% of users have flash player.

    So for navigation purposes, you would rate using flash navigation or even standard links over javascript and just reload the entire page (logo etc.) on each link?

    I am now very confused. Any light you could shed on this would be much appreciated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    High on life
    Posts
    10,104
    The flash player penetration is at 98.4% for older versions. The flash 6 player is currently installed for 83.8%, with flash 5 at 95.4%. (source: http://www.macromedia.com/software/p...netration.html)

    As far as javascript, you misread what I said. Javascript(1.2) is enabled for 86%, while it is disabled for 13%. (source: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/javas.php)

    So for navigation purposes, you would rate using flash navigation or even standard links over javascript and just reload the entire page (logo etc.) on each link?
    No, I personally would reload the page. I just redesigned my site (infinitypages.com) and have used flash for the naviagation, but still reload the entire page. The site is not live yet, or you could see what I mean...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles