www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Major help needed

Exclamation Major help needed

A month or so ago I downloaded WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 software. Since I did this, I've been unable to access any javascript at all. The company that offered the software said to just reinstall the Internet Explorer 6 that I have. I did that but said it was unable to install it. Some things were missing.

I don't have any disks for my computer since it was given to me for free by my sis. She got it from Rent A Center, who do not keep the disks. I'll be calling Dell next month (that's when I'll have the money) to try to get the disks.

If I click on buttons in my Yahoo mail, nothing happens. Same thing with other sites. If something is in javascript nothing will happen at all. If I click on something that is linked in HTML it works fine, but the javascript is non-operational. Also, my system restore was killed during that fateful download.

Any advice???

PS.

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff.

Check to see what is the following IE setting set at:

Tools / Internet Options... / Advanced / Security / Allow active content to run in files on My Computer

Also, these IE settings:

Tools / Internet Options... / Security / Local intranet / Custom Level... / Scripting / Active scripting
    Tools / Internet Options... / Security / Internet / Custom Level... / Scripting / Active scripting

Everything seems ok but I did not see the first option...the "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"

What Operating System (OS) are you running and what fix level do you have applied to that OS?

I'm running on Windows XP. I don't mean to sound stupid but what is a fix level?

fix level = service pack
    WARNING: Use code provided at your own risk!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon78
    I'm running on Windows XP. I don't mean to sound stupid but what is a fix level?
    For XP, there is the base level and there is SP1 and there is SP2.

I have service pack 1.

Thanks for letting me know about the fix level.

I have service pack 1.
    That explains this:
    Everything seems ok but I did not see the first option...the "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
    That option was added with SP2. BY default, SP2 will have this new option set off -- which prevents JavaScript from running in files displayed in IE from your local computer.

Thread Information