www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Redirect? help needed

Redirect? help needed

I am going to try to explain this the best I can and hope someone can help me as this project needs to be done ASAP and I am lost. The closest thing I have found was a cookie redirect code (not sure if that will work).

I am setting up an email newsletter for a supper club. They just did it through Outlook before and we needed to upgrade. Anyway, I am importing all the emails and sending them thier confirmation email. Once they confirm, they will be sent a thank you email. This is where I need your help...

In this email I will provide a link to a page on our website with a gift certificate that can be printed off, but we only want them to access it one time (so they don't access the gift cert over and over losing us money).

Would a cookie redirect code provide what I need or is there something better to use?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
    Dori

No, cookies can be deleted -- thus they would still be able to do it again.
    The only reliable solution is to use server-side code and a database.

Well, I guess that will be way over my head! Could you please explain what this would do and how it would work? I would like to understand so maybe I could work my way to learning it on my own.

Thank you again and thank you for your fast response!
    Dori

Quote Originally Posted by sabber96
    I am setting up an email newsletter for a supper club. They just did it through Outlook before and we needed to upgrade. Anyway, I am importing all the emails and sending them thier confirmation email. Once they confirm, they will be sent a thank you email.
    Well, perhaps I got the wrong idea from what I quoted above. Into what are you importing the email address list? With what do you plan to send the confirmation emails? With what do you plan to receive, and record, their confirmations? I got the idea that all of this was via server-side code and a database. No?

I am using a emailing program called Express Email Marketing. I imported my email addresses from Outlook into this program. The confirmation emails will be sent from this program and record thier confirmations, etc. I will send the emails from this as well, but don't know how to send an email with the features I had said before. I know it will keep track of who clicked on the links in the emails, but I don't know how to make it only allow you to click it once. I was hoping there would be an HTML code or something simple I could put into the email that once the link has been activated it would more or less switch the link to something else so if they click it again it would redirect them to a different page.

I am sure I just confused you more. I have set it up right now that I put a cookie on the webpage with the gift certificate so it would redirect them to another page upon visiting a second time. I am in a 'small town' area and am hoping that most don't realize how to delete cookies or don't do it often and of course that they have cookies accepted. This will have to do until I figure out another way.

Thank you,
    Dori

Yep, beyond the cookie approach you're already using, any additional functionality would have to come from that Express Email Marketing package or via an API (application proramming interface) which could be utilized with that package. Sorry.

Thread Information