www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: search optimization

search optimization

I am redesigning a website for a company. As of right now the company has a pretty good standing in the search engines. I'm wondering if that after I finish the site, am i going to lose those standings. I'm basically using all the same content and even adding some. Any help or advice will help. Thanks.

Old site
    www.smartdesigns.com

New site
    www.digitalartsolutions.com

PS Once I finish the site it will be under the old URL (smartdesigns.com). But we are changing hosting companies.

Well, the second version has metadata -- that can always help. I'd change the name of your site to your organization's name. You use it often in the text, that in conjunction with having it in the page title, will help, too. I'd add something like graphic art or software to the title:
    Code:
    <title>Digital Art Solutions:  Digital Art and Graphics Products</title>
    People using a search engine are more likely to type in the products they want, rather than a company name. With the products in the title, that'll place more significance on them.

My Personal Pet Peeve: Don't use decorative punctuation in a page title. (You didn't, but the old version did.)
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thanks, for the tips. I'll make those changes.

This is where I get confused though. From the way I set up the new site I would think it would do better then the old site with the search engines. Of course it doesn't though. Is it because the other one has been up longer (i uploaded the new one today)? Is it because other sites have linked to it? Have I done something wrong or does it just take time? Help!!

Yeah. Sometimes it takes six weeks for your site to be indexed by some search engines. I'd give it a few days, then try it with Google. They're pretty fast on uploading new info.

Also, didn't you mention that you're changing servers and/or hosting companies? Sometimes that can effect it, too. If you're changing the addresses of any of the interior pages, you may want to send out notices to any other sites that link to you. Having other sites link correctly to you plays a part, too.
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thread Information