dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to be a n00b anymore!

Red face I don't want to be a n00b anymore!

So I'd better calling myself a dummie in computer sciences. THis area of science is developing so fast and I'm still like a n00b in wonderland even in trivial stuff. I'm sorta new to net.(less than 2 years) People I even don't know any computer language and don't have a damn clue in most cases when my computer damages. I don't know how the hell to install antivirus or removes that awful blue shadows under the name of icons on my desktop. So tell me what to do? hang myself or is it posssible to learn more? Please lemme know.(You know that's a shame for a 24 year old girl not to know this stuff. It's like being illetrated(eh? )in 21 century!

Thanks

Well, I guess the first step would be to cut out your social life, give up personal hygiene, and become a Mountain Dew addict. That will put you well on your way to be an über geek.

Barring that, you know, you just spend time experimenting. I've been actively using the computer for only 8 years. And only for the last two or so have I really known what the f*** I was doing.

Find yourself some idle time. Dedidcate it to doing nothing but fooling around with different settings. You might want to create a system restore point. (Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click Create Restore Point, click next, give it a name like "Good Configuration", click create).

Then just mess around. Right-click on your desktop and click properties. Spend some time going through the tabs and menus. This menu lets you control a lot of the GUI of your system. Get familiar with it.

Go to your control panel (Start Menu -> Control Panel). Click around and explore. Check out your System menu and your Add/Remove Software menu particularly. Try not to actually change anything if you don't know what it does, but look around and see what you can do.

There are zillions of tutorials and articles out on the web. Even if you aren't a programmer - many people have computer-focused jobs and don't program - just being very familiar with your computer and what it does can be a good thing. Read articles on your hard drive, and hard drive maintenance. Know about defragging, disk repair, partitioning, boot sectors. Read up on services and start-up programs (you can access these via Start -> Run. Type msconfig). If you are smart and so inclined, you might want to familiarize yourself with the command line a bit (Start -> Run. Type cmd)

Just take your time about it. Read about and experiment with your computer. That is how nearly everyone on these forums came to be so knowledgeable. You don't need to know the nitty-gritty details if you don't want to. Learn at your own pace. Just dedicate some time each day to exploring a new aspect of the computer.

The best way, I think, to learn how to fix a computer is to break one.

Get an and old computer and completely mess with it, once youve had to reformat the thing a bunch of times (which is also a good thing to know) you will eventually get the hang of knowing what computers are all about.

There are times when it becomes second nature to know what to do around computers once you have been on them for an extended period of time, even if you havent seen the issue before. I sometimes forget other people havent had thier own computer since they were 8... 13 years of experience on any subject will at least get you some knowledge if not alot.

One of the best attitudes to take into learning computers is to never stop wanting to know why something is happening or why something needs to be done... even if it seems trivial, and of course way past the point of sensibility.

Every problem solved is another step towards non-noob-ness.

Good Luck

Waylander.

Okay,
    but bear with me here if you will.
    What if, just what if you happen to be one of those er..one of those types of people that is only too eager to learn but.Well let's just say you take apart an old computer and it never can be put together again like humpty dumpty.
    There ARE people like us you know. Honest.
    What then?

Well as a matter a fact this was me in the beginning too.

You find a kind soul to put it back together and format it for you.... i cant recall how many times i stuffed up that pc and had to get my dad to get me back to square one...

Everytime you do it you will learn something new.... not just with the hardware to, once your at square one mess with all of the settings in the operating system, hobbit out every screen and page the system has to show, and then mess with that too!

The internet is quite good for help, once you find something interesting then try and search it up best you can to get a decent explanation.

Hope this helps

Waylander.

Well thankyou, really, I am going to try it. The most that can happen I guess is that noone in the free world will come near me with a ten foot pole after I screw up, but you are right, like anything else you DO learn something each time.
    you're encouraging. cheers

Thanks

That encouraging-ness is mainly just my analytical problem solving obsession...
    Its a good thing to have when your moving towards a career in any sector of IT.

Good Luck

Waylander

Some sound advice there... As to messing with the innerds of a Pc, things go where they fit - and won't go anywhere else. The wiring will only fit one way round too!
    Waylander has the right idea - get an old Pc and just see how difficult it is to mess it up... Seriously, it ain't that easy!
    Take some time to play... and have FUN !!!
    Nick.

Just be carefull with, I think its video cables and com ports... same shape different genders.... bent pins arent fun.

other wise yeah!

Waylander.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    Just be carefull with, I think its video cables and com ports... same shape different genders.... bent pins arent fun.
    VGA has 15 pins, serial ports only have 9, it's a visible difference... Also a VGA port is blue and serial is turquoise, in accordance to the PC 99 colour coding scheme.

Incidentally, a small knife is good for straightening pins. Just last year I bought a CPU on ebay that was sold as faulty (2500+ Athlon "Barton"), a lot of the pins were bent out at add angles, looked like someone had tried to force it into the CPU socket. I got my knife out, straightened them all and it worked perfectly, it's still working now in fact.

But if you do mess around with the innards of PC's, there is one tool that is absolutely essential, ALWAYS have a Phillips screwdriver to hand, all screws inside PC's use Phillips screws (unless the guy who built it was completely idiotic).

Nick was right by the way, all of the connections inside a PC are fairly fool proof, so if something looks like it doesn't fit or won't connect up, it probably shouldn't be there.

If you're going to be experimenting with your PC, then make sure you have a backup of everything that's important. I don't just mean setting a restore point though, burn all your important files to a disk or put them on an external hard drive. You should do this anyway, since a hard drive failure is always a possibility (however remote), but if you're prodding and poking at things, the likelyhood of losing data increases somewhat.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

VGA has 15 pins, serial ports only have 9, it's a visible difference... Also a VGA port is blue and serial is turquoise, in accordance to the PC 99 colour coding scheme.
    Im an engineer David, I build and use standard and custom cables on a daily basis...

Never said anything about pins, the incorrect gender is what can bend the pin. Its just a common begginer mistake to start to think that cables can only be connected to the right place... sometimes the housings can both be out and it will fit and break, thats what I was referring to, not the cable or connector type itself. Its something I learned the hard way when I was very young and there are other situations where it can happen too, its just a wrong mindset to be in.

Messing with the insides of your own computer with your data is a bit silly even if you back up. Upgrading and maintenance is fair enough, but if your learning get an old pc with no valuable data, once the smokey demon is realesed theres no putting him back.

Waylander.
    Last edited by Waylander; 07-03-2006 at 09:28 PM.

YAY it just so happens I know what a phillips screwdriver is, I actually have helped build furniture and I was in contract painting for a few years.(sorry guys but I found working with men totally unnerving, I was a wreck. All, except one guy and he was cranky with everyone kept staring and trying to help until I wanted to run shrieking down the road.But I did love the work.
    Okay, I want you to know that my family thinks you're insane for encouraging me and I am insane because.....well we won't go into that.
    Were all you guys just so brilliant and analytically minded as little ones? I am in research I was hard core front page writer and I am in law now and I can do a pretty mean brief but.....computers. Honestly though I did sustain two pretty harsh head injuries as a child and I honestly could not do math that well after and before that I was an honor student. I like to think that is my problem but truth be told maybe.....perhaps the awful truth is I really am a dumb blonde in some things. Oh the shame...............

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    Messing with the insides of your own computer with your data is a bit silly even if you back up. Upgrading and maintenance is fair enough, but if your learning get an old pc with no valuable data, once the smokey demon is realesed theres no putting him back.
    Heh, that may be, but as soon as I got my first computer in 2001, the very same day I had the graphics card out and in my hands (an awesometastic Hercules GeForce 3 64MB in case you're wondering).
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

My computer is constantly open. I can see the innards from here (or almost any place in the room for that matter). I left it open for a while when I had to swap some hard drives in and out frequently and lost the side panel (though it's probably lying around in here somewhere).

That's all I've managed to do though, just swap HDDs in and out, and I still killed my PCs sound on my first attempt. Oh actually, come to think of it, I stuck another graphics card in too. No idea what it is mind. A mate just gave it to me so I just chucked it in the slot. *le shrug*

Oh oh! And another! I added some RAM to my PC too. My mum got two 512MB sticks of RAM given to her. The mother board in her PC had two slots for RAM and one was taken up by the 256MB stick which came with the PC. So I ripped out the original 256 stick and slapped the two 512 stick in each slot, then chucked the then spare 256 stick into my open RAM slot.

So that's 3 tweaks for me! Woohoo!
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    Nick was right by the way, all of the connections inside a PC are fairly fool proof, so if something looks like it doesn't fit or won't connect up, it probably shouldn't be there.
    This is VERY true. The only exception to that is the PCI slots on Dell motherboards. I swear to god, for whatever reason, I always fell like I'm about to snap the mobo in half when I try to put them in. Though on that note, the newer Dell cases (well, their buisness desktops) are real nice. They swing open, and everything slides & snaps into place. No more unscrewing!

My advice is to simply not be afraid of computers. Computers are methodical - there's a method and reason for the madness (short of software! >.> <.<). Hell, I found that I did better in math after I picked up programming. Then again, I was never much of a writer...

Thread Information