www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Small business website advice please!

Small business website advice please!

Hi all!

I am just about to start my own driving school business and want to create my own website. This website wont be too sophisticated, say 10 pages, links, contact email and maybe some audio(no too sure though)

Been looking at some all in one packages(domain, build and host) and Fasthosts.com looks interesting, with a few packages.

Just wondering if anyone has any simple tips for a novice on creating a website and are there any other packages out there that make it simple to create the website and host it??

Cheers!!

there's all kinds of template sites available. I'll see if I can find some links for you.

back with two

http://www.templateshunt.com/template.php?id=604

http://www.templateshunt.com/template.php?id=612

If you've got a few bucks to spend, I can help you put the whole thing up on the web and do the SEO stuff for you. email me at robert.paulsen@comcast.net

Last edited by strung; 06-29-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Dont bother paying for your hosting. Thats a tip to save money, since its quite a simple job for a driving school site you can use a free webhost like www.50webs.com (no adverts at all, free and good connection rates etc.) Then either get a webmaster (which it sounds as if you might be best doing as its a headache saver if your not a seasoned developer) to make you a cheap nice site or modify a template like strung suggested if you feel confident enough with HTML etc. You can try several online sites like that one or template monster or if you have a p2p program search for web templates and you can get a folder full of loads of different templates and browse through and see which looks nice and suitable

Thanks for the feedback guys! much appreciated!

Thanks for the offer of building my site Strung but i have no budget for a website, will have to persevere by myself. As a matter of interest how much would you charge?

Like what i see on the link Wh666-666,

Thats a pint im due you both!! Lol

Cheers, James.

I would strongly advise against using templates, especially generic templates for a business website. It portrays an unprofessional image if someone recognises your site design from somewhere else, especially if that somewhere else turns out to be one of your competitors. Also templates tend not to be very well designed, and don't use valid code which is very important due to accessibility requirements under the disability descrimination act in the UK. So you may end up getting a website set up with a free or cheap template saving yourself 150 or so over using a web designer, but all it takes is for someone to complain about disabled accessibility on your site and you get landed with fines of 1000 plus.

I dont know where you are located, but I know that in the UK there are thousands of very good developers who will do special deals for small businesses getting started with their first websites and I would assume the same exists in other countries. It really does pay in the long run to have your own site developed for you and you might be quite surprised at how affordable it can be.

Good luck with the business whatever way you decide to go

Hi jpruby,

i have no budget for a website, will have to persevere by myself. As a matter of interest how much would you charge?
    Just bookmark this thread, since it has my email address. When you get into trouble, give me a shout.

One recommendation I have is to hit up the nearby college - most IT students have internship requirements, and developing a website will fall under that. Most don't expect to get paid, either (I know I didn't ).
    Administrator of The Engine Network
    http://www.the-engine.org
    "We are drunk of borg. Resistance is floor-tile."

Thread Information