dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: An image that can change?? (not sure what it's called)

Question An image that can change?? (not sure what it's called)

Well i believe they are being made on the fly. Not on the fly as when your request them but maybe once a day or so.

There images are the same as all video games stats that are created.

I started to mess around with this once but never finished it.
    What i was looking into doing was reading an .xml file that had all my stats and then using vb.net you can take an existing image and then create an object of that image, place the text on the image and then save the newly created image (something like that).

The approach i was going to take was pretty much the same thing as water marking an image. I was able to do all this in a web page using asp.net. Asp (by its self) can not do this.

Now is that how they did it? Who knows, there may be many ways to do this.

easy, it's a simple url defined database driven image.

the 'stock' one is located here.

http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx

by adding "?txt=Anything+I+want!" you would receive the text 'Anything I want!' on the image, as it is passed though as a url variable

after that the "&uid=#database signature#" pulls the user's identification, as well as their stats of finding items, and hiding items

"&uid=f2e8af9b-8aaf-4f4e-8244-9f012835c894"

put together brings this back

http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Anything+I+want!&uid=f2e8af9b-8aaf-4f4e-8244-9f012835c894

Quote Originally Posted by skilled1
    easy, it's a simple url defined database driven image.

the 'stock' one is located here.
    http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx

by adding "?txt=Anything+I+want!" you would receive the text 'Anything I want!' on the image, as it is passed though as a url variable

after that the "&uid=#database signature#" pulls the user's identification, as well as their stats of finding items, and hiding items

"&uid=f2e8af9b-8aaf-4f4e-8244-9f012835c894"

put together brings this back

http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Anything+I+want!&uid=f2e8af9b-8aaf-4f4e-8244-9f012835c894
    I understand how to change the text and uid on these images. What I want to know is how to make one from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by lmf232s
    I started to mess around with this once but never finished it.
    What i was looking into doing was reading an .xml file that had all my stats and then using vb.net you can take an existing image and then create an object of that image, place the text on the image and then save the newly created image (something like that).
    Could you (or anyone) elaborate on this?

See here for exactly how to do it. This technique used to be restricted to CGI and Java Applets. Now it's easy to do with the .Net graphics library.

Quote Originally Posted by russell
    See here for exactly how to do it. This technique used to be restricted to CGI and Java Applets. Now it's easy to do with the .Net graphics library.
    That's very helpful, but it leaves me kindof confused. I did the tutorial, but I couldn't get the image to work when i uploaded it to my site. Maybe my hosting package doesn't support the aspx. This is the hosting plan I have.

What I want to do is take this image and put it on this one to create this. I'd like to still have the original image be able to update itself as the stats change. I believe that this is the vb code requred.

If I have to, I suppose I'll be able to make it in CSS using z-index or position absolute... something like that. I can't remember exactly how to make things overlap, but I'll be able to figure it out if I have to...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wiz Creations; 07-01-2006 at 02:27 AM. Reason: left something out

i don't think that plan supports .Net.

This one does though.

Have you already started building your site?

Quote Originally Posted by russell
    i don't think that plan supports .Net.

This one does though.

Have you already started building your site?
    I recently started rebuilding my site because the original was done with tables and it was a pain to manage. (I also never got around to putting the content into it.) The new design is similar, but better in my opinion.

I got the desired effect for the stats bar by creating a show and putting that as the background. You can view it at http://www.wizcreations.com/newsite/test.html.

Thread Information