www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Interesting method to fully enclose a floated element within another (edited???)

Interesting method to fully enclose a floated element within another (edited???)

Hi everyone,

I found an article on this and it looks like a great method but uses a lot of hacks.

It started off with this:

Code:
    .clearfix:after {
        content: "."; 
        display: block; 
        height: 0; 
        clear: both; 
        visibility: hidden;
    }
    and then quite a few other hacks.

Source Article Here

I'm sure whoever wrote is a million times better at this stuff, but is there any reason something like this wouldn't work

Code:
    .outerDiv
    {
         padding-bottom: -1px;
    }

.clearfix:after
    {
        content: "."; 
        display: block; 
        height: 1px; 
        clear: both; 
        visibility: hidden;
        overflow: hidden;
    }
    Douglas
    Last edited by DJRobThaMan; 07-07-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Two browsers come to mind in which this could fail. IE5-Mac does not stretch block elements to encompas floated elements, and it also does not support the content CSS property. So the above method of clearing a float absolutely fails in IE5-Mac. If you're not supporting that browser, as it's used by an extremely small fraction of 1% of users, then it's not a bad method.

The other big question is if IE7-Win supports the content CSS property. I don't think it encompasses floats like IE5 and 6-Win do.

I don't think IE6 even supports the :after pseudo-element, let alone the content attribute.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I don't think IE6 even supports the :after pseudo-element, let alone the content attribute.
    It doesn't, but that's okay because it encloses the float automatically (I think) .

Also, the article claims that once display: inline-table; is applied to the style for the clearfix class in IE MAC then it should work in that browser.
    There is no way to do that without a hack, is there.

Thread Information