www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is this a clean code / best practice?

Is this a clean code / best practice?

Hi everyone. I just wanted a second opinion on whether or not my code conforms to best practices and such. Please take a look at this page and let me know if there's anything you would change or if there is a simpler solution especially in regard to the CSS.

Here's a link to the page.
    www.mark-yieh.com/anneSharp/speaking.html

Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by mark_yieh; 07-12-2006 at 03:32 AM.

There's a lot of non-semantic (presentational) markup in the body and a syntax error in a meta tag. It's quite readable with CSS disabled, though, so that's a good thing.

This is just personal prefference, but I like to write my css code vertically instead of horizontally if that makes sense. For me it seems easier to read.
    Example:
    You:
    Code:
    .content {font-family: arial; text-align: justify; width: 525px; position: relative; top: -415px; left: 175px;}
    Me:
    Code:
    .content 
          {
          font-family: arial; 
          text-align: justify; 
          width: 525px;
          position: relative; 
          top: -415px; 
          left: 175px;
          }
    BTW -- Some Tips
    - When you specify a font-family, it is best to have more than one font listed.
    - You don't need to add px after a 0 this makes your file size a little smaller, but not much.

- Otherwise you CSS looks Good.

there is only one meta tag in the document and i can't find what's wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_yieh
    there is only one meta tag in the document and i can't find what's wrong with it.

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset="ISO-8895-1" />

content="text/html"; perhaps? I'm not quite sure what is wrong here, either..

Quote Originally Posted by The Little Guy
    This is just personal preference, but I like to write my css code vertically instead of horizontally ....
    You know, -I've read about that somewhere. -Ettiquette for posting in Forums, to make your code 'vertical' for ease of eye-strain. Yet, *I* find that annoying. I prefer my coding 'horizontal', with NO horizontal scroll-bar, of course.
    That, and absolute URLs. Not "< img src ="/images/this.jpg" />" but < img src =" h t t p//w w w(dot)mysite(dot)com/images/this.jpg" />. That way we can lift the code and use it offline (sort-of) on editing software and (with internet-access) get all the images intact, present and accounted for.
    This is the first thing I do when working with someone's code... is to get the URLs absolute so I can use it in editing software. I often end up 'horizontalizing' their code for my own benefit with the understanding that they will 'verticalize' it back again...

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

does the capitalization in the meta tag make a difference? I'm looking at a book "The Complete Reference HTML & XHTML fourth edition" by Thomas Powell and his examples show

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8895-1" />

That, and absolute URLs. Not "< img src ="/images/this.jpg" />" but < img src =" h t t p//w w w(dot)mysite(dot)com/images/this.jpg" />. That way we can lift the code and use it offline (sort-of) on editing software and (with internet-access) get all the images intact, present and accounted for.
    thank you for this tip WebJoel. It makes sense. I'm going to use this method from now on.

I'm not sure if capitalization makes a difference or not, but I know that lower-case always does not make a differance. I usually just use lowercase, but I have an editing tool that creates a working template that includes upper & lowercase letters. I usually just leave it alone (I merely assume that it is correct).

Oh yes, -Ray, -yeah! That meta-tag thing... you're right. I looked at that and it was so obvious after seeing the way you wrote it. I don't write too many meta-tags... I just let the html-editor do it and that is one of my weaknesses I guess.

Actually Fx/Tidy showed me that extraneous quote.

Thread Information