www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do you check your ranking?

How do you check your ranking?

Just put upp my site www.appsoftheweb.com last weeks friday, I found that I had a visit from the googlebot, but I can't find my page on there.

Could someone that knows about this check out my html-code (I added the meta after the googlebot) and see if it's totally not right or... I'm a newbie at this so..

Thanks for your help!:
    Managing Director for DMB Design, http://www.dmbonline.net

You can validate your code at validator.w3.org. Make sure it is valid HTML. And try not to use a nested table layout - it is hard to maintain and CSS is much better.

Your meta tags are correct, but I believe the Google ranking is based more on page content and number of links to the page than meta tags.

I don't know how long it takes Google to update the database, but your site may not be listed for a while.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

AdamGundry, I'm just curious after reading your comment on the nested table, cos I've been using a lot of nested table... how do I change it into using css instead? i have css but its mainly for different size/color of text only... how do i create table with it?
    thanks...

beeman, nice web, although i can't comment much... i'm newbie too.. hehe...

beeman,

I know you didn't ask for this, but I'd like to make a suggestion. You use a textured background behind some fairly small print (your app descriptions). This makes it difficult to read at resolutions above 800 x 600. At 1024 x 768, I'm squinting to read your site content.

My suggestion would be to either lose the texture behind the text, or switch the dark gray & the light gray.

Just my 2c worth. I like the basic format of the site, though.

Aronya1

Google typically updates its database every two months and crawls on a monthly basis for most sites and jumps via hyperlinks.

Furthermore Google doesn't pay much notice to <meta> keywords.

Thread Information