dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vBulletin vs PhpBB

vBulletin vs PhpBB

If PHPBB is free and as good as people are saying, why would someone pay the fees to use vBulletin? Support? Features? Ease of Setup?

VBulletin is expensive and I am not sure my client is going to pay those license fees unless I can make a good case for it?

I haven't used phpBB from the admin side that much, but from what little I recall the adminCP is FAR more primitive than vb's, allowing far less control. On the plus side it's probably easier to learn than vb's.

I wouldn't say phpBB is better but it certainly is a worthy (open source) alternative. JP has a point about the admin side, especially with huge user database.

phpBB is easily customisable, cost free, great community and support, pretty much offers what vBulletin offers. I didn't see any "quick reply" option, but it might exists as a "mod" (which is a really cool part of the admin side)

Only buy vB if you expect a huge number of users, otherwise phpBB can handle it well

Wht kinda hits can phpBB sustain?

Ive used both and the only reason you should choose for an expensive board like VB is when you want to control large numbers of posts and users. The admin side offers just much and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by arag0rn
    Wht kinda hits can phpBB sustain?
    a big punch and a semi-hard kick..nah, what do you mean?

LOL, I think he meant how much traffic.

Look at the phpbb.com support forum ( http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/ )
    they have over 2 million posts, an average of 400 people online and almost 1 third of a million registered users

vB no question about it. It has much more features and is safer. phpBB is a security risk >_>

I chose vB for my site mainly because of great and knowledgeable modding community at vb.org!

vBulletin if you can afford it, otherwise phpBB. PhpBB contains many of the features of vBulletin only without the hefty price tag, generally speaking phpBB is more then sufficient - just remember to upgrade regularly to avoid bugs.

I use to use phpBB all the time and still like the software but it is a huge bot haven. Of course you could fix it yourself but the developers should do that. Now I use SimpleMachines Forum or SMF - www.simplemachines.org it's a cool board with more features than phpBB has. You should try it out, of course it is free

I have yet to use vBulletin but I might one day...

I don't like either of them, I would recomend Punbb

i've used phpbb mainly because it was free but vB does give you more control and had way more features than phpbb of course can be modded but had compatibility issues with certain mods. i say for sites just starting out phpbb if your still developin and so fourth but once it starts to grow upgrade to vB as i will be doing soon.

the basic difference lies in cost....while phpBB is free vBulleting cost arnd $85 for one yr license fee....i used phpBB and on every aspect it failed to match vBulletin....be it Admin Panel, Looks or User Friendly...

but being free it equals everything...one of the major drawback is no quick reply box and the page thts displayed after posting a reply...although quick reply box is available through Mod but still....and nothing for tht page...

but must say phpBB is highly customizable and yet free

Thread Information