www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: No sound after lightning strike

No sound after lightning strike

Last night we had a bad storm and the power went out for a moment. The computer wasn't on but it must have caused a surge as I had to replace the cable modem, reset the TCP/IP connection, and replace the router (so much for the expensive surge protector). Now, I can't get any sound. I have a Realtek AC97 set-up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device and drivers twice. I have checked the devices, all work fine. I have changed speakers, still no sound. I have searched the Internet but no solutions.

Anybody have any ideas? I am running Windows XP SP2.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

You have done what I think any of us would have done. Surge Protector, cards, drivers, even the speakers! Time to go to the manufacturer.

Hmm, do you have insurance that may cover the damages? Maybe the surge protector has a warranty where they will guarantee it will work, and if not they may replace everything? After a lot of hassle and paperwork though no doubt.

Thanks, guys. I was afraid there was no more to do. I'll have to see if the warranty on the surge protector is still in force.

Oh well, for now it will just be quiet..................
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I've come to the conclusion that surge protectors just don't work, no matter how much they cost. The only real protection from an electrical storm is to unplug the PC from the wall.

Therein lies the secret.... A tech once gave me a battery backup unit that kept going into backup mode everytime the power shifted the tiniest bit (where I live that's not unusual). It's in the closet now .... lol
    Lee

That's why when we get a bad electrical storm here, I shut down the desktop, unplug it and boot up the laptop until it passes. They usually don't last that long anyway.

Yea I know how you feel LeeU. Ages ago when i lived in a more rural area we had a very sudden thunderstorm and i didnt save my work and shutdown quick enough and i had a very bad surge (back in the days of dial-up and win98). Made a sparkling noise and went dead. When i took it to pieces i found that my sound card had melted in the PCI slot!! But nothing else was effected apart from the sound card and the PSU (and obviously the motherboard), managed to re-use all unaffected parts in another build. Just saying as its wierd how sound cards are the most effected thing.
    Last edited by wh666-666; 07-20-2006 at 01:11 PM. Reason: **Tinkering and expanding
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

It is interesting that it's the sound card. I had that same thing happen before, except a re-install of the drivers and all was well.

I do have another sound card. I'll give that a try. The one I have now is onboard so I'll just disable it. Thanks.
    Lee

Whenever a lightning storm graces the sky and razes the power lines, I just click the circuit breaker off. Now this thread has me scared that doing that is not enough.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

No not quite enough, back in the days of dial up (again!) i had a friend who unplugged their computer from the socket during a storm and went to bed thinking everything was ok. Discovered the next day they couldnt get on the internet and found that they had a surge down the telephone line which shorted out their modem (not something that happens often but surges on phone lines can happen)
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Yeah it really isn't enough. In fact, in extreme cases even pulling the plug and leaving it lying very close to the power strip isn't enough. Electricity of that power can jump short distances. It's rare but it's happened.

Thread Information