www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forum Advice

Forum Advice

Hi there,

I have an idea for a website and the site would require a forum. I have built a website before, but not with any major scripting, just a basic site.

Please can i have some info to where to start and what i need to have a forum working.

My Host does support the usual scripts including php.

As far as i can tell (in basic terms) i will need to obtain a sql db from my host. I will need to obtain the forum template. What i suppose i need is what else i may need. Is it then a case of configuring the template and attaching it to the database?

Thanks

Trev

Moved to "Forum Software" forum ...
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Just google and DL one of the free ones. No point in trying to reinvent the wheel, especially since it would take yrs to compete with those already done for you

Thanks for the reply,

i already knew i would have to 'obtain' one but this doesnt really answer my question. I am looking for info to how to set this up on the server etc. How would one connect to the sql server? Would i need to know a lot of code e.g. PHP etc.

Thanks

Trev

Most of them don't use or work with anything but MySQL, so MS SQL server won't be a problem. You don't need to know much to set them up, and they do have read me files to explain what you need to know. Invision and phpBB are the most popular free ones, I believe.

PHPBB is good, http://www.phpbb.com

Thread Information