www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help...

Newbie needs help...

How does one go about return a value from a form field and place that value in a hidden input field?

Code:
    <input type="text" value="$10.00" style="font-weight: bold; bordeR: 0px; width: 100px;font-size: 10pt; color:black; font-family: verdana;" name="cost_total">
    Above is the line of code I want to take the value from. I want to place that value into a hidden field. The value of $10 is the default value, but actual amount changes based on number of items selected.

PHP is server-side, so It can't do that kind of thing. The best you can do is use JavaScript:

Code:
    <input type="text" value="$10.00" ... onchange="a();" />
    <input type="hidden" name="cost_hidden" />
    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    function a(){
        document.formname.cost_hidden.value = document.formname.cost_total.value;
    }
    // -->
    </script>

Ok, I got that part, but let me ask this.

How would you go about converting that into a float? I need to pass this as a float, not a string.

actually, you could do it with php, on the page that proccesses the form information, just make a
    HTML Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="somename" value="<? echo $_POST['cost_total']; ?>">
    and that should work, but as im not sure how your script runs it might not be what your wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal
    actually, you could do it with php, on the page that proccesses the form information, just make a
    HTML Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="somename" value="<? echo $_POST['cost_total']; ?>">
    and that should work, but as im not sure how your script runs it might not be what your wanting.
    That's assuming that post-cost_total is set. It won't work on the client. b The source will look something like
    HTML Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="somename" value="the_data_in_the_post">

However, that method will work if the page is refreshed or it's on a second page.

it would be set obviously if it is submited, which should happen, otherwise, why would you be using a form if not to submit???

That's true, but I think that he wants it to be client-side.

well, install php then, then it will still work on client side.

well, install php then, then it will still work on client side.
    PHP is server-side. I've never heard of PHP on client-side.

yes, but you can install a localhost server on your machine, i used to use it often for developement. Anyways, if you have like Xp, you can put it on there without much problem. I forget exactly how, but its not all that hard.

Okay, but what about the general public?

well, the general public uses microsoft(sadly as they suck) which means that alot of people use windows which means that alot of people can install it, and they prob have something out for linux. ect... Like I said, its been a while, in fact, I have like php 3 on my local server, thats how long its been. Talk to nogdog or one of the smart ppls about it, they would know more than I would prob.

I think he wants a script to handle the posted value. Or post it to the form from a previous page, so when they pressed the button then it can query PayPal or something like that.

Don't know if we can help you accurately without a full explanation.

... alot of people can install it ...
    But who actually does (besides programers)? It just doesn't seem like PHP can be run client-side; even if you do install it, your computer is like the server, and it is therefore server-side. Oh yeah, macintoshes come built in with disabled PHP4. You just have to enable it using UNIX commands. I did it, but I never use it.

It is client side, because the server is a client sort of like a browser when your using it directly like that.

Thread Information