www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Installing MYSQL!

Question Installing MYSQL!

I've just in the past few days been learning PHP i managed to set up my Apache 2.0 and PHP 5 but i'm having troubles installing MYSQL 5.0 onto it. Could any one help? or is there a decent guide on the web somewhere. im running xp pro btw

MyFirstPost

cheers egg.

Welcome!

XAMPP is the easiest way to set up PHP, mySQL, and other assorted goodies. You just need to run through one installation and everything's done for you! I recommend it for beginners.

--Steve
    Save The Shirts!
    Don't overuse exclamation marks!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by micros3rf
    I've just in the past few days been learning PHP i managed to set up my Apache 2.0 and PHP 5 but i'm having troubles installing MYSQL 5.0 onto it. Could any one help? or is there a decent guide on the web somewhere. im running xp pro btw

MyFirstPost

cheers egg.
    Well what is the problem you're having exactly? Usually reading through the documentation on mysql.com is more than enough for a basic install.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

You can check out MySQL doc here about installing on windows. From what I recall, it is essentially figuring out which distribution you need and running the installer. I think you want the "Install MySQL as a service" option, but I haven't done it in a while. Pretty self explanitory. I don't remember how hard ti was to get Apache, PHP and MySQL all to talk to each other.

If you want ease of use, ease of install, and better integration, I would suggest a package, like WAMP Server or XAMPP. I use WAMP and I think NogDog uses XAMPP.

WAMP has a system tray icon which gives you quick access to many useful features/tasks including: start/stop Apache or MySQL; edit all 3 config files; quick browse to your localhost root; and open your document root folder.

I definitely prefer it to the sort of ad hoc, throw all three together and hope they work.
    Woohoo! It wor... er, wait, no it doesn't...
    PHP Coding Standard PHP Namespaces

That shadow behind you? It's not the cat. Mwahaha
    Well, I'm not quite sure if it's what you're having problems with, but I noticed that after having Apache 2.2.2, and PHP 5.something installed, MySQL would install fine, but then I couldn't do anything with it.
    If that's your problem, then there are command prompt codes you can use.
    If you're trying to understand why it won't work with PHP like it should, it would be good for me to say that I've found that PHP needs some files to work with MySQL. Unfortunatly, they weren't put into the installation of PHP 5+ for some reason. As to how you can get that working, you're on your own. However, if you figure it out let me know how you did.
    GET FIREFOX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shane.carr in his signature
    Don't respond by saying "Why don't you ..."
    when I state in my previous post "I don't want to ..."

thank you just the sort of thing i was looking for, now downloading i'll tell you how i do ^_^

Thread Information