www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Trying to center comment buttons in Internet Explorer

Trying to center comment buttons in Internet Explorer

hi,

I finally have my comments page working but the "Post" and "Refresh" buttons are not centering in Internet Explorer. In Mozilla they are fine. I tried specifying the position using "margin:" in the external css file using an IE hack but I'm not sure where the buttons are in the shoutbox.php page code.

does anyone know of a way i can get the "Post" and "Refresh" buttons under the text box as it is in mozilla?
    click here to see page
    thank you

Without a doctype IE will never match up with web browsers.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

so you're saying I should take the doc type from my regular website pages and put in my comment page code?

Okay, I specified a doc type for my shoutbox page but the problem is most of the code for the page is so unintelligible (im new to Mysql), when I try to use an IE hack, I don't know where to put the identifier because I don't know where the buttons (that's what I'm trying to position) begin or end in the code.

The doc type is obviously a start but I'm afraid I will need a little more help in positioning the buttons. Can anyone advise me further on this? Thank you.

Mike

Well, the doctype needs to be the first line. It's the second. And there's a lot of nonsense in there like float:center and that first visible line should be an h1, not a div and none of the breaks are needed.

The bottom line is start here.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...2Fshoutbox.php
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

I put lil' wedges and tweaks throughout this, imported your external CSS and comment-out the external, got it centered and everything more-or-less lines up.

There are repeated deprecated tags that I started to removed, but it was causing problems so I re-installed what you had. There are quite a few "id" 's being used over, when they should be "class" 'es. I re-did those, and got unpleasing results, so I put them back...

I put in a strict !doctype first of all (hence, causing these errors), but it works like I said, more-or-less 'centered' on IE and Firefox, -so we've gained some ground.

I might tweak it more, later...
    Attached Files Attached Files

right after the text-box code put <br> and maybe it will move under the text-box.
    and if your wanting it centered, u could use <div align="center, or left, or right">
    then
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by JavaKid93
    right after the text-box code put <br> and maybe it will move under the text-box.
    and if your wanting it centered, u could use <div align="center, or left, or right">
    then
    </div>
    You know, -that might actually work. Right now I merely have the button-containing element with a postion:relative; left:somethingpx; because I assume that this width will never change. This should be centered, not positioned., to keep it 'fluid'..

What I did will display differently in IE vs. Firefox, as Firefox isn't showing a vertical scrollbar unless one is needed. IE just shows it. I'm 'centering' based upon the presence of a vert. scrollbar, so there's about a 20-pixel discrepancy between the two when 'visually' inspected.

I should have posted the main problem I fixed (so that we all could understand this), -I forgot what I did, but it seems as if there was a "float:left;" in the CSS somewhere that was a major tripping factor. I commented it out and things started behaving better... Might be that this is why the buttons were 'to the left' and removing that freed-up the element and alowed me to 'position' it nicely even though it seemed stubborn and would not 'center' for me any other way..

Thread Information