www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Website is different in firefox than IE

Website is different in firefox than IE

Hi I'm relatively new to css so this might be something simple, but I cant figure out what the problem is.

If you go to my site, you can see what the problem is, in IE it looks fine, but in Firefox the right sidebar becomes 'dislodged' from its position. any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.usvisahelp.info/

I am not sure what you want, but it looks as if in Firefox, your right-hand ads are not present. See attached image sh3.gif of how Firefox sees this, versus sh4.gif of how IE handles this.

This is what you mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't design your websites for IE, IE messes up a lot of code, so when you design it to look correct in IE its wrong in many other browsers. Make fixes for IE, not fixes for firefox.

There has to be at least 10 different topics on this page about how IE messes things up, when are people going to learn? I understand that it is a smart choice to make fixes though so stubborn people dont have to change browsers....

Always start with valid HTML and CSS.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...sahelp.info%2F

You have many instances of some IDs. You're only allow one per page. If it doesn't IDentify a single element then it needs to be a class.

It's easy enough to find fault with the work of others. That is why I don't post my webs to "Website reviews". I'd be roasted alive, esp. on some of my legacy sites!
    The HTML-editor that I use, unfortunatly enough, is IE-biased. But I check with Fx and Tidy. It would be easier for me as a web page builder to actually build in a Firefox-like enviroment and then tweak for IE.
    At least this site is actually quite well-built. The only 'errors' I noted were a lack of ";" on some character entities, but the lack of ads on the right-hand side isn't exactly an error. It appears more like a ...misunderstanding? It is as if they are out of the document flow somehow...
    (edit: ) Noted Ray's observation of multi-used IDs... that could account for the 'misunderstanding'?? I'd have to examine the code again..
    Last edited by WebJoel; 08-20-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Hi thanks for the replys!

@webjoel, this is what im seeing using firefox 1.5.0.6 and this in IE 6. I think is something to do with the css but im not sure what it is.
    here is the css file
    http://www.usvisahelp.info/css.css

Yeah im really new to website building, thanks for your support

@ray326
    all those errors seem to be from the amazon affiliate code, I cant see any other error which would cause this.

Thanks again for any help!

Errors are errors and must be fixed. Otherwise you are relying on the browser to react to them and different browsers may react differently to the same situation.

Thread Information