www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SQL Forum FAQ - Read before Posting

Hybrid View

SQL Forum FAQ - Read before Posting

Warmest welcome to the SQL forum!

By no mean is this a MySQL forum only, so feel free to ask any questions about any flavour of databases!

Also, don't post questions where databases are only slightly involved and the actual problem is about the server-side language that interacts with the dB.
    This forum is more for questions about the actual query language, meaning, queries, structure, syntax, etc..

good posting!

UPDATED: Tell us what DB and Version!!!

To help us help you, please tell us what database your question is in regard to. If you are combining your question with a programming language, let us know that too.

There are a lot of differences between the various Database Engines, and letting us know which one(s) your question refers to will help immensely.

For example:
    "I'm using mysql 5.0 with PHP 4.x and my problem is:"

Or

"I'm using SQL Server 2000 and when I try this..."

Cheers
    Russell

Now if NogDog will just come by and make this a sticky...
    Share on Google+

Click HERE to ask NogDog to make a sticky...
    Share on Google+

this is important to us because different database vendors and versions have different features. lots of them have stored procedures. sql server and mysql support limited results returned in a query. oracle supports more advanced queries like hierarchical sql (allows you to have a table that references itself and you can select the tree of rows starting with a particular id)

also try to avoid making posts like "i tried installing SQL and ..." as that doesn't make sense. SQL is a language, like swahili and cobol, you can't really install it, you can learn it. you can install a server that understands SQL, if so tell us the version and type.
    Share on Google+

I just want to reiterate this point - Most DBMS adhere to the generic ANSI standard, but not strictly. The standard doesn't have everything needed, and each vendor has provided their own syntax for creating what is needed.
    Share on Google+

Please, try to wrap your code in code tags, and if you could format it to something like this to make it easier to read

Code:
    select
    colA, colB, colC
    from your_table y,
    inner join your_other_table o
    on y.id=o.otherId
    where y.id=5
    order by y.colT;
    Share on Google+

Thread Information