A couple of things:
- It looks kind of strange that tops of the people's heads in the banner sort of fade away. It might not look as awkward if you have the church fade into the people photo, than the opposite. The church image doesn't have that much visual interest. If 30px or so of the bottom isn't fully visible, it wouldn't be a loss.
- The text is painfully small on the left. Senior citizens, or even the middle-aged, will have a tough time reading that.
Good Luck -
* My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
* I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
* I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)