www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: URL help...sorry, not sure how else to put it

URL help...sorry, not sure how else to put it

I have a question that I really don't know how to articulate very well, so I will just explain the best I can without trying to use the right terms, since I don't know them.

I want to be able to type http://www.webpage.com/content into the address bar and have it go to the page without needing it to be http://www.webpage.com/content/index.htm or whatever. I thought it would be as simple as putting "index.htm" into the "content" folder and typing the address that I mentioned, but it doesn;t work unless I have an additional / at the end of the URL.

The reason I want to do this is that I have a manage a site for a classical station that sometimes mentions things on the webpage for listeners to go to. It is hard to spell out the entire address with all the file names and .htm and stuff. And it isn't direct enough to say to look for the link on the homepage.

Any help?? thanks!

Apache defaults to index.html unless you've overridden the DirectoryIndex directive.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

I changed the file to .html and it still does go without the additional / at the end of the url. It gives me the "page cannot be displayed" thing.

Is "content" an alias or is it directly under the doc root?

the actual web address that I am trying to get to work is www.wrcj909fm.org/ondemand. This is a redirect from www.detroitpublictv.org/wrcj/ondemand

The "ondemand" thing is a folder inside of the "wrcj" folder. The actual path on the server is www/htdocs/wrcj/ondemand. and then in that folder is index.html

I am using this as a test, but would like to impement this with several other pages as well for easier access from listeners.

Hmm. Just worked ok for me except for the images. It was really slow but that may just be us today.

The image thing is because I haven't updated any paths, I just dropped the file into the folder to see if it would work. For me, it thinks for a long while and then gives me "the page cannot be displayed." Maybe it is my network here at work or something. It's just weird that if I add a / to the end, it loads quickly and fine. That extra condition kind of makes doing it that way pointless as it is too much to try to explain to listeners to put the forward slash at the end.

Thread Information