dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Form triggers for response and next question

Form triggers for response and next question

I have read through some tutorials and different things and have found that it is quite easy to trigger certain answer options, but here is what I am really needing for the form I am trying to make:

#1 At the top is the selection for what type of form user is looking for
    #2 That triggers first question, based on the form they choose
    #3 That triggers appropriate answer block
    #4 The answer of that question triggers the next approriate question, so on and so on.

I know it will take some real planning on what will trigger what, but I am having a problem finding script that will allow me to do the above mentioned. I really wish there was some kind of form wizard out there that could make the process easier when making something like this, lol.

Sounds like something that AJAX would be suited to.

Could you be more specific? I really do need to get this form working soon. I really dont want to have to make multiple forms if it is avoidable. The more interactive form just seems to be a better choice for streamline of things.

Ok, here is the example I am looking at altering so that I can get multiple choices based on previous answer. It is located at HTML Goodies : HTML and Graphics Tutorials : Forms Tutorial: Altering Select Boxes in Forms .

I want to start with what type of form they are wanting to respond with (ie., Complaints, Broken Links, etc.). Based on that selection then an appropriate next question and group of categories in dropdown will appear. So on and so on until the final result is the exact problem (about like a troubleshooting form). Then probably end with a text box they can be more specific in before submitting the form. Also, in the very end, based on the methods used previously, I need the submit button to point to the correct email inbox (that I appoint of course) so that I can keep the responses seperated somewhat for ease of sorting out. I am not sure I can use the same method to set a given veriable (email address to send to) to the submit button, but am hoping.

The most robust way is to submit the form at each step, remember their answers and build the "next" page appropriately on the fly using a server technology like PHP, ASP, JSP or CGI.

Someone mentioned AJAX. I went to a page that used AJAX for just about all the handling of the page. WOW! is all I could say. In reference to keeping load off of main page content loading, that AJAX is the (censor). I wish I could figure out how to use that, but there is already so much out there to use that is less brain boggling. I guess I am going to have to do some more test and trial until I get what I want. I'll have a little less hair, but will be more rewarding, lol.

Thanks for all the responses, but still, if someone has any insite into how to make this work I would appreciate it. I am looking more toward Perl or PHP to get the result that I want since those 2 are a little more understandable to me.

If you must use javascript, something like this may be what you are after. But, personally, I agree with ray326's approach. Going server side means that your options are available to the 20% or so who do not use javascript. And it is often less confusing for a user, too.

If you want to go server side, choose a language appropriate to your web host, and learn that - getting help as required from the appropriate section of this forum.

I suggest you build up your solution as you go along, and come to the forum as specific problems occur, complete with an example of the problem code. I think you'll get a lot more sympathy and help than simply saying I would like my page to do whatever, write me the code.

If you did decide to use AJAX, the link above is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

However it could be made more accessible by listing out all of the options in boxes 2 and 3 so people without Javascript turned on will still be able to use the form.

I think the whole point of DOMScript is to make Javascript unobtrusive.

Thread Information