dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating FrontPage Form with PHP/ASP

Creating FrontPage Form with PHP/ASP

Hi all,

I have a new client who is already hosted on linux and using php templates for his website. He uses Frontpage 2003 to add new pages.

He asked me to create a new form- I usually do these in Frontpage and have the results emailed. Since he's on linux, when I go to Form Properties in frontpage, it does not allow me to select email results. I have to select from the following: Custom ISAPI, NSAPI, CGI or ASP Script; Discussion form handler, or registration form handler.

I don't know PHP or ASP. I only know how to create the form in Frontpage...any suggestions on how I get this to work for the client? I see its set up for the post method, but I don't understand how to make the form submit and arrive to his email address.

My first instinct is to get him to switch to windows hosting, but his templates are php extensions and I don't want to mess up his whole site! help!

oh if you told him to switch to another host I would suggest instead you tell him he has the wrong person for the job.

Lets take your knowledge from one side and look at how to apply it from the other end.

1. you do not know PHP - Neither do I, but I know how to make sense of it.
    2. you have all his files or access to them via the web - good you'll need these later.
    3. you know how to make forms via FrontPage - good you'll need this later.
    4. Can you read source code? - this is the most important step of all you'll need for later!

oK SO WITH those 4 things out of the way lets begin.

1. open another page he has a form on. I'm pretty sure you mentioned he has another page using a form on it.
    2. look at the source code of one of the old forms and you'll see the input boxes and like wise are exactly the same as HTML or FrontPage code.
    3. the only thing different will be the either the hidden fields or the form line starting the form. All forms on the page are done in HTML so it shouldn't be an issue.

You can even make changes to older form page and do a "Save As" and rebuild it as the new form.

It's nice to have an afternoon off to mess around so let me stick my two cents in here.

Once you have the form you have to have something to get rid of it - enter "mailer.php" in a search engine and down a small files with that name which you can put in your root directory and alter the code in the form page to point to this and put in your e-mail address after "mailto:" and all should be well.

Well, it worked for me in any case.

Cheers

Jack

Thread Information