www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: TABLE or DIV?

TABLE or DIV?

Hi there,
    I noticed that the recent tendency is to avoid tables, and instead use DIVs.
    What do you think about that?

Cheers,

"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

If it is to display tabular data then it should be coded as a table. If there is no tabular data then NOT using tables makes for smaller, easier to maintain, faster loading code.

The easiest way I know of to determine whether to use a table or not is to temporarily turn on borders for the table (if you aren't using them anyway). If using borders stuffs up your page so that it looks weird then it should not be using a table.

In most cases the answer to "Table or Div" is to not use either but to mark up the content using the semantically correct tags. Where appropriate tags do not exist then the answer is "div". The answer to this question is never "table" since if a table is required then the question would not be asked in the first place.
    Last edited by felgall; 09-25-2006 at 03:25 PM.
    Stephen

I agree with felgall on this.

Since CSS is related with DIV, you'll need to know some CSS to spice up the DIV itself. CSS is just SOOOOOOO much easier to mantain than standard tables.
    Firefox|Arch Linux
    "Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think." - Ayn Rand

Learn CSS. | SSI | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Dynamic Site Solutions

Design/program for Firefox (and/or Opera), apply fixes for IE, not the other way around.

Check out my blog.

Thread Information