www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A 25 year website?

A 25 year website?

I would like to build a website which I can guaruntee will be around for 25 years. Is there a maximum length of time for which a domain name can be registered, and if so, will I always be able to renew the registration?

Any way you can think of for me to do this will be very helpful! Thanks

PS. I understand the Web is likely to change dramatically, but Im assuming that, just like we can still view the first web page ever created, in 25 years time, the Web or its successor will still be backward compatible!

There are many companies that plan to be around for at least 25 years, and I'm sure they're planning on having an electronic presense. I don't see any reason you can't do the same. Just keep paying your registration fees, and there you go. I think the longest you can register a domain for is 10 years, but then you just renew it for 10 more...

Dave

By the way, could you give me the link to the first web page ever created, if you were serious? You've got me curious!

Dave

Yahoo!, that first page may look very intresting. I would like to take a look on it too... Please post a link.
    You are the winner !

I did a little poking around, here's a site that discusses early history and shows what might be the closest we'll find to the "first website", or at least a copy of it from 1992 - http://info.cern.ch/

Amazing to think that there are now web developers younger than that!

Dave

Its my understaning that this is a copy of the first page to "go live".

http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-h...heProject.html

PS. Back to my problem from before, do you think its legal to guaruntee is website will be around for 25 years even if i only have a 10 year licence which i just continually renew?

Sure, I don't see why not. Keep in mind, you have to read common sense into any guarantee like that. If the company goes out of business, if you forget to pay the fees, etc, etc - all are going to cause your web site to go down, but within reason I think a hosting service could make that claim.

Dave

Thread Information