dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I am trying to install a phpBB on my webpage...someone help!

I am trying to install a phpBB on my webpage...someone help!

I am hosted by godaddy.com, and the phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php) continues to state that the server will not work or that it cannot work with phpBB, I have taken the steps to troubleshooting it and still dont understand...can anyone help? are their any other bulletin boards of this quality that are avialible if i cannot get this fixed?

Thanks,
    wade

Does your plan support php?

The host is Godaddy.com, they said that they are not aware of any issues with hosting bulletin boards. I will keep trying i guess.

The reason I asked was because with my host I had to switch from their Windows hosting plan to the Linux one in order for me to use php scripts.

I have a windows hosting plan but can change to linux also, whats the difference between the two?

thanks,
    wade

We have different hosts. Mine is 1and1.com, so I'm not familiar with godaddy. See what your plan offers. If it doesn't support php script then you won't be able to use phpbb.

yea i will, im planning on upgrading as it is, due more domain names, need a host for multiple names..and an upgrade will offer it...

phpBB usings PHP which is done on a linux/unix server while asp is done on a windows server. So therefore you'll need to be using the linux hosting option to be able to install pbpBB.

PHP - Windows or Linux

PHP works on multiple platforms, and Windows and Linux are both capable of it. The question is whether or not the provider is using it on the server. Nearly all Linux servers offer PHP while some Windows servers still, for some reason, do not provide it.

Moving this to the Forum & Blog Software forum.

My advice would be contacting GoDaddy and ask about your hosting plan. If they don't know what hosting to use, then I don't know who should.

Thread Information