www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Email notice.

Where I live, people get shot. I need to move.

Email notice.

Can the forum code be modified so that whilst the member is detected as being on-line or still viviting the site that any or all email notices are surpressed unless the member wants them of course!

This is because it is irratating to see emails of notices of replys when IM already aware and replied to them, it would then ease up on the network resources so that when the person actually is off-line, the system then sende notices out to members who chose to recieve them or subscribe to them.

Currently you have to manually do this by going into the CP but even then if you do that, you may already have emails in the inbox.

Go on, you know it makes sense.
    If life gives you a hard knock once in a while, your lucky. All I keep getting is a savage beating... everyday!
    AJAX! - Javascript Sha1 & MD5 - ASCII tables - Zend DevZone - My Space
    Stop Badware - Create "TEXT FILE" in Javascript - . - wikipedia on PHP -

Good god that would be fiddily, I doubt it would be worth the effort. Do that many people even use the e-mail notification anyway?
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Sorry, but no.

Err this site doe and it TO BE HONEST is spamming as I never asked for emails to be sent to me, every time you reply to a post, your put into the thread as subscribed to it when I NEVER asked to be and thats what is annoying me, something that is being forced on me that I dont want.

It would only take a database entry to FLAG that user as logged in, I really dont see what the your problem is with that one plus you should take note that http://www.spamlaws.com/eu.shtml / http://www.spamlaws.com/world.shtml exist for a reason, unwanted emails even if they are forum based notices are classified as SPAM if the email is not requested and I never requested email notifaction nor wanted it.
    If life gives you a hard knock once in a while, your lucky. All I keep getting is a savage beating... everyday!

Go to your Edit Options section and scroll to the Default Thread Subscription Mode fieldset (it's the 4th one down) and change the dropdown from it's current value to Do Not Subscribe or No Email Notification.

Quote Originally Posted by netbuddy
    as I never asked for emails to be sent to me
    As you signed up, you'd have seen a set of radio buttons asking you if you wanted to recive e-mail notification on subscribed threads and every time you post to a thread there is a dropdown asking if you want to subscribe and if you if you want e-mail notifications per post or periodically. So yes, yes you did ask for e-mails to be sent to you.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

This image shows the default setting, this setting I never made and having gone through my CP I can see that all the settings are wrong which indicates that my personal settings were changed, this is something that only an admin can do or change in the database. so what gives?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you look in the userCP as he mentioned? Well that's where you'll find the global setting. But that won't stop the emails for those threads already subscribed to, just for new ones. You have to delete the current subscriptions as well as prevent new ones.

this is something that only an admin can do or change in the database. so what gives?
    We have better things to do than to modify users accounts so that they receive email notifications.
    You obviously didn't read everything as you signed up. So if you just make the changes already mentioned the notifications will stop.

Well the forum has a glitch, if anyone of the admins would like to look at my prefs, they will see that the settings are different from those that turn up when I click on reply to thread, they show subscribe as default when my prefs are set to no email notice.

For this reply, I have changed the setting manually to no email notice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Change it to "Do Not Subscribe"

I just tested and the moment I change the setting in my prefs, it changes in the reply template of a thread.

Nice one, it came up as my default choice and not the forums.

However, for future reference, it would be nice if the forum development team create a security authenticate notice which is sent as an email confirming that forum members settings and for reasons of security I believe that this would be one email that should not be surpressed as it would indicate that a change had taken place in the users personal settings, the user would be alerted because they would be recieving email that the settings have changed. (Paypal use a system a bit like this, my paypal account recently got a hack attempt which caused security emails to be sent out to verify that I made those changes, but I didnt and I still have my paypal account because of it.)

The email would need to have some hash key click URL to verify the content change of the email so that any disputed settings or changes can be verified incase of dispute, the information being generated by the system would show this just from supplying the hash key of the original settings and restored to the users previous setting if needed.

FYI, the settings that were in my CP had everything selected for email notice when previously none were selected except for contact by board members sending an email and the forum admins. the time zone somewhere in karachi, emails were on for threads when I had set none.
    So you have to forgive me for wondering what went off, if the admins have not made the change, who did? not that it makes any difference, the settings have been put back to what I now want and we will see what happens.

L8R.

Well that was short lived, I replied to a couple of posts and find that IM being subscribed to email notices again DESPITE my setting stating 'Do Not Subscribe'.

This seems to be a problem with a few threads, this thread shows the correct setting but others show up Do not email as my setting, Hmmm and a couple showed up 'Instant email notice' as the default setting.

By contrast, yesterday all the posts I made had no emails arrive, today is a different matter.

It only leaves Two possiblities, the forum has a bug or the database has an anomaly. If its neither, then we have a resident hacker that is able to communicate directly with the database. So which is it then as yesterday everyone was so quick to pull me up saying its my settings when today it clearly isnt me.

Can the forum code be modified so that whilst the member is detected as being on-line or still viviting the site that any or all email notices are surpressed unless the member wants them of course!

This is because it is irratating to see emails of notices of replys when IM already aware and replied to them, it would then ease up on the network resources so that when the person actually is off-line, the system then sende notices out to members who chose to recieve them or subscribe to them.

Currently you have to manually do this by going into the CP but even then if you do that, you may already have emails in the inbox.

Go on, you know it makes sense.
    That's a little ridiculous to think, isn't it?

Thread Information