www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: DOM Table Question

DOM Table Question

I am trying to address a value on a page using DOM.

Firefox DOM Inspector shows the following:
    -DIV (ID=my_id)
    --TABLE
    ---TBODY
    ----TR
    ----TR
    -----TD
    ------TEXT (DATA=25)

With this, I thought that the following would get the value (i.e. 25):
    Code:
    document.getElementById("my_id").getElementsByTagName('tr')[1].firstChild.firstChild.data
    It works with IE, but not with Firefox. In fact, Firefox gives a "no properties" error for the following:
    Code:
    alert(document.getElementById("my_id").firstChild.nodeType);
    Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

You've probably got a text node consisting of only white-space characters or comment node there.
    Learn CSS. | SSI | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Dynamic Site Solutions

Design/program for Firefox (and/or Opera), apply fixes for IE, not the other way around.

Check out my blog.

Doesn't DOM Inspector include these?

I think I might have stumbled on to the cause. I am using innerHTML to generate the table inside a DIV (PHP is used to modify the values, but I have removed the PHP portion). Firefox "DOM Inspector" shows the individual table DOM elements. IE can also access the individual table DOM elements. The Firefox browser, however, doesn't appear to be able to access the table elements (odd that DOM Inspector shows them). Could innerHTML be causing the problem?

Code:
    document.getElementById("my_id").innerHTML="<table border=1 width=100% cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tbody><tr><td align=center>V1</td><td align=center>V2</td></tr><tr><td align=center>1</td><td align=center>2</td></tr></tbody></table>";

According to the Mozilla Developers shown here

Although is can be used to, innerHTML "should never be used to write parts of a table—W3C DOM methods should be used for that—though it can be used to write an entire table or the contents of a cell."

Ah. I've heard but not confirmed that when innerHTML is used to add elements to a page they appear but aren't added to the DOM like they would be if you use DOM1+ methods.
    Learn CSS. | SSI | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Dynamic Site Solutions

Design/program for Firefox (and/or Opera), apply fixes for IE, not the other way around.

Check out my blog.

Thread Information