www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do I tell if someone is stealing my Internet?

Question

how can i know if someone is stealing my internet-cable before it reaches my router ?
    is it possible ?
    and how to prevent that ?

What do you mean, Wireless or is someone physicaly stealing your cable line.

I have heard of the use of wireless routers in the home being just able to penetrate the walls of the neighbor's flat, -giving them the ability to access your internet access if they had the right equipment and the will to do so. -Kind of like a 'hot spot' as we call them here.
    Not sure if that is possible, -but I'd be concerned. -If they can get your wireless, they might be able to intercept your actual use and possibly even feign being you (identity theft)...
    Does your access have a bandwidth useage record? It might be worth asking about, -to see it your bandwidth is being used or accessed when you are in fact, not using it...
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

If you are talking about some stealing bandwidth from your wireless network, use encryption on your wireless router.

If you are talking about someone hooked up to your physical cable just check your cable and inform the cable company if you see anything suspicious.

Web Design & IT Services

If you are concerned about someone jacking into your wireless network (if you have one), then do as destinetics said and setup some kind of wireless encryption. However, WEP encryption is pretty much useless because it can be cracked on an average laptop in about 5 minutes. If WEP is the only option you have, then it's better than nothing, but just barely. WPA and WPA2 are MUCH stronger.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

You could also run some kind of bandwidth test to see what you are actually getting and compare it to what the cable company says you should be getting.

There is a good bandwidth test here... http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Like David said, WEP is pretty much useless. Try WPA or WPA2 instead.

Web Design & IT Services

Damn, dude! -Look at the web site that I found!!

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Yeah... be afraid. Be very afraid!
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

That's old news, and also irrelevent, since you would need a cantenna at both ends to maintain a connection over a long distance.

Quote Originally Posted by WebJoel
    Damn, dude! -Look at the web site that I found!!

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Yeah... be afraid. Be very afraid!
    Scary.... and I always thought you had to use a pringles tube

If it's a wireless network problem, look in the yellowpages for a computer tech, and ask if they can
    1, set up a WEP encription
    2, set up MAC address filtering
    3, disable your SSID broadcast
    If you get those 3 things set up, no worries

Those 3 things will do pretty much nothing to protect a wireless network. As I said earlier, WEP can be broken in about 5 mins on an average laptop.

MAC addresses can be spoofed without any trouble, and they can be gathered quite easily from the many, many packets flying around in the air.

Disabling the SSID broadcast won't slow anyone down either, the SSID is sent in every single packet to determine what network they belong to.

David, you are assuming that whoever is stealing his wireless internet (If in fact someone is stealing it) is an expert at what they are doing. If his neighbor for example is connecting to his wireless connection it might be by compleate accident....
    Keep in mind, not everyone is evil, or knows what they are doing.
    Those 3 things will do for general protection.

or you could make it a private network that you connect to with a password, which would probably save a lot of time.
    The world is a wonderful place to live in, yet I never really care, must be those pills I'm taking.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrison
    Those 3 things will do pretty much nothing to protect a wireless network. As I said earlier, WEP can be broken in about 5 mins on an average laptop.

MAC addresses can be spoofed without any trouble, and they can be gathered quite easily from the many, many packets flying around in the air.

Disabling the SSID broadcast won't slow anyone down either, the SSID is sent in every single packet to determine what network they belong to.
    Hey, im also having trouble with my wireless router, i dunno whats happening but the ping time is huge (300 ms average).

Please tell me if you need an more info, thanks

Thread Information