www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Whats wrong with my site?

Whats wrong with my site?

I am making a site for a printing company and I am practially done with the homepage but when I added rollover images (I used to Dreamweaver to do it) all the images are seperated in the browser and it looks horrible. The site is http://www.ecdprint.com/test. When I upload it without the rollover's it looks ok, at least on my screen. I used tables to do the layout, I am still learning how to use CSS and Div tags and will go to that when I finaly do learn. However, I need this to work and I know it should becuase it has in the past for much more complicated sites I have made. Anyway, if you guys could take a look at it and let me know what is going on that would be great. Thanks.

It looks rather bad on a WinXP Firefox screen.

Start by validating your code. You have multiple images where the name and id contain spaces.
    Please give me a hand at http://www.gofundme.com/bkzr98.

I know it looks bad, that is why i am asking for help. If it looked good I would not have asked for help. Anyway, I know the code isn't going to validate because the doctype is xhtml 1.0 transitional and some of the atributes of the flash and table are depreciated. What part of the site looks bad though? Is it the left side or the entire thing? The part that was giving me the most trouble was the left navagation. If someone could help me out with using css to do the layout of the site that would be great. I know tables are the worst thing to use and never look the same in all browsers. Anyway, thanks though, but a little bit more help and a little less "it just looks bad" would be appreciated. Part of the problem is the table cells and laying them out in Dreamweaver, they never line up right and I can never get it right by just coding it. Dreamweaver adds spacer images and other empty cells that make the cells move apart if you shift one. Even when I remove all the content except the navagation on the left and top there are still gaps between all the images along the left side. Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

In your rollover images all that changes between the states is the text size and position, you could recreating this using CSS and it's a:hover property with a background image. This would make the site more accessible and it would load much more quickly. CSS could also replace the Flash navigation, which is definitely a good thing. There's no real need for the Flash element at the top, it could be replaced by a static image and CSS rollover styles.

Right now it's very image heavy and took quite a while on my connection (cable) for all the images to load and for the rollovers to work.

The main content and look I like, it's just the top banner I'm not keen on. The images don't blend into each other and the colours don't fit in with the couor scheme maintained by the rest of the site.

Thanks. the reason for the flash at the top was because there were too many images and I need to break it up a bit. I will give the css rollover a try, I had not thought of that before.

Thread Information