dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New "business" site questions

Hybrid View

New "business" site questions

Not sure if this should be in e-commerce or here ... mods feel free to move if need me!

My son is a budding writer. So far he is self-publishing e-books and stories in PDF format for the youth gamer audience. He wants to build a website in which he can list his stories and guides, and have people pay for them and download directly afterwards from his site.

Most of the software I have seen goes through the process of paying (paypal or CC) for items and then filling out info to have it shipped. This is not good for him - he needs instant download ability.

Am I reading these features incorrectly, or can someone with experience in sucha thing recommend software to accomplish this? Would this be available to him on a business site only, or could it be run from a personal website/domain?

He will most likely use 1and1.com as his host - since I host 2 domains there and like them.

I know that zencart has this ability built in.

For software, whatever you do, do not get Frontpage. You'll hear people on this forum will say that Frontpage and Dreamweaver sucks. I agree on the Frontpage part, but rather get Dreamweaver, the lesser of 2 evils. Dreamweaver MX 2004 costs like 40 bucks now. You should be able to find it using froogle.

You know you can get free domain names? My site (Not the prettiest of sites) is hosted by YFMA. They provide (If I'm correct) 3GB of webspace.

As for making money from stories, you should definatly copyright them. You could lose a lot of money if some noob decides to steal your son's story and make a profit off it.

But good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsofmodder
    For software, whatever you do, do not get Frontpage. You'll hear people on this forum will say that Frontpage and Dreamweaver sucks. I agree on the Frontpage part, but rather get Dreamweaver, the lesser of 2 evils. Dreamweaver MX 2004 costs like 40 bucks now. You should be able to find it using froogle.
    I was referring to software that would enable the pay option - not web design software. I already have that - been doing my own designs for years.

You know you can get free domain names? My site (Not the prettiest of sites) is hosted by YFMA. They provide (If I'm correct) 3GB of webspace.
    Actually, 1and1.com gives a free domain registration with the hosting package. I have 2 domains I purchased through them for only $5.99 a year (others charged $30), and another I got for free when I upgraded one of my hosting plans.

As for making money from stories, you should definatly copyright them. You could lose a lot of money if some noob decides to steal your son's story and make a profit off it.

But good luck!
    That has already been done.

Try this. I use it for my music downloads and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    A little pricey, but I'll look into it. Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    good tip... thanks

osCommerce supports that feature as well. It may take some customizing to get a store you're happy with though since osC is a hefty product but it is still much leaner than Zen Cart.

Thread Information