www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with DIV...

Help with DIV...

I modified a document from our web designers to try and clean up the look and make it a workable document for future revisions. I basically changed the filenames, lined up the structure of the file by using carriage returns and removed (what i thought was unnecessary) javascript. Unfortunately, the modified file doesn't look like the original file. Can someone please help?

The original file is located at http://www.portadome.com/photo.htm

The modified file is located at http://www.portadome.com/newdir/photo.htm

Thanks in advance. I believe that the problem lies somewhere in the DIV commands used. I have never worked with this command suspect the problem is somewhere within these commands. Thanks again.

ozdemir23

Am I asking the wrong questions here? Please, some guidance. Thanks

ozdemir23

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure what others think about this, but it's hard to jump straight into someone else's code, I find it almost impossible.

So my advice to you is to pick one of the following:
    * start again and only change one thing at a time to see where you went wrong
    or
    * start from scratch and try to replicate what you see as best you can
    or
    * wait for a few hours until someone who can read code straight off the bat turns up
    or
    * wait a week or so until I find the problem.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

fair enough. you're right. i can't expect someone to just be able to take the code and find a needle in the haystack right off the bat. so, i will try your suggestion of starting over and changing one thing at a time. that's the best solution i can think of right now. thanks.

ozdemir23

On my machine they are almost identical in IE6, but

1) you've used slightly different text which causes linebreaks.

(in two cases - teledome demonstration and anytown us.)

2) Your photobar pictures are darker. If they are definitely the same ones, use an image editing picture to lighten them.

I can give you some screenshots of what I see if you want them. Other than that if you modify the text to be the same, and lighten those pictures they will be the same on my machine.

By the way, have you considered what would happen if someone had the font size set to large in their browser?
    Last edited by DaveSW; 07-11-2003 at 09:03 AM.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Hey thanks for the reply. It should be identical now. I took the advice of the first reply to go back and redo slowly - reloading everytime I change something. It should the same though.

About the text size being set to large, yes and no. I have thought of it, but the guys who designed the site were so fed up with all of my comments that I couldn't squeeze anything else out of them - including what we agreed in writing (e.g. a video that is NOT an MOV file). Anyway, any idea on how I can avoid the personal settings on someone's browser?

Or, for that matter - any idea on how I can convert this mammoth Quicktime file into, say, a Windows Media File?

Thanks again.

ozdemir23

Maybe this: http://www.newfreeware.com/graphics/1914/

or the entire search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

As regards text size. In your case your page is unreadable with text size adjusted, so I suggest you use the css text-size:12px; wherever you need to. So either in your tags which contain the text you want changed, <p style="text-size:12px;">

or for the entire document you can use
    <style type="text/css"><!--
    BODY {font-size:12px;}
    --></style>
    in the head section of your document.

Change 12px to whatever is appropriate.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Thread Information