www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to detect which submit button was clicked?

How to detect which submit button was clicked?

Can javascript determine which submit button was clicked to submit a form? My form has several submit buttons but I want to perform a particular action when a certain one is clicked. I have a validation function that gets executed when the form is submitted. What statement(s) can I use in the validation function to determine which submit button was clicked? Perhaps there is an event status that can be examined to see which button was clicked last?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by km4hr
    Can javascript determine which submit button was clicked to submit a form? My form has several submit buttons but I want to perform a particular action when a certain one is clicked. I have a validation function that gets executed when the form is submitted. What statement(s) can I use in the validation function to determine which submit button was clicked? Perhaps there is an event status that can be examined to see which button was clicked last?
    Give each submit button a unique name/id, then use a switch/case to go that route.
    Code:
    function checkData(tid) {
       switch(tid) {
          case "submit_a":
             -- do this --;
             break;
          case "submit_b":
             -- do something else --;
             break;
          case "submit_c":
             -- do yet something else --;
             break;
          }
       }
    Code:
    <form name="testform" id="testform">
       <input type="submit" name="submit_a" id="submit_a" value="Submit A" onClick="return checkData(this.id);">
       <input type="submit" name="submit_b" id="submit_b" value="Submit B" onClick="return checkData(this.id);">
       <input type="submit" name="submit_c" id="submit_c" value="Submit C" onClick="return checkData(this.id);">
    </form>

Thread Information