www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: best way to execute SQL?

best way to execute SQL?

I've read several php books and I've run across multiple ways of executing SQL for a MySQL database. What should I use? Do I have to use PEAR? Is PEAR better just because its written in C? Why do you not close a mysql_pconnect connection?
    I guess I'm completely confused. please someone tell me the best code

Where I live, people get shot. I need to move.
    Theirs NO best way, its what way suits your needs, programming requirements, style, etc.

Another way of putting it is its your choice.
    If life gives you a hard knock once in a while, your lucky. All I keep getting is a savage beating... everyday!
    AJAX! - Javascript Sha1 & MD5 - ASCII tables - Zend DevZone - My Space
    Stop Badware - Create "TEXT FILE" in Javascript - . - wikipedia on PHP -

most libraries for PHP are written in C.

path to follow would be dependent on your overall development style. most, if not all, companies want object oriented development, and in this case if you are going to be using MySQL, you should use the MySQLi API with a MySQL server > 4.1.

If you develop in a object oriented way, I would recommend a completely separate layer for database access, and have other items access that only. Will using a pconnect improve your site? probably not. it's more costly.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

thank you for your advise. I guess I'll then stick to what I have been using for now.

Another consideration is portability, in that the mysqli_* functions are only available in PHP5. Therefore, if your software needs to be compatible with PHP4, then you'll need to stick with the mysql_* functions.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information