www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Verifying Data on a Web Form

Verifying Data on a Web Form

This may sound like a silly question - I have a form on my site - used for lead generation - we ask all of the standard questions - the qualifier questions determine the 'heat' of the lead. About 1/3 of the time - I will get leads that are determined to be 'hot' but the contact information is crap - generally nonsense typed into the form. What is the best way for me to somehow validate that data? I especially want to be sure the e-mail address and phone numbers are valid - or at the very least - recognize that there are invalid entries and kick the data out. Any suggestions?

that best way to validate email would properly be to send an email out, if they don't click a link in that email you boot them back.

alternativly you could run a regular expression to check the emails validity.
    Code:
      dim isValidE
      dim regEx

isValidE = True
      set regEx = New RegExp

regEx.IgnoreCase = False

regEx.Pattern = "^[a-zA-Z][\w\.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9]@[a-zA-Z0-9][\w\.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9]\.[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z\.]*[a-zA-Z]$"
      isValidE = regEx.Test(myEmail)
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Thanks!

Ouch! I just slapped my forehead in a 'Why didn't I think of that' moment!! Thanks!! This is a great suggestion!

Thread Information