www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Select redirect??

Select redirect??

Hi there,

How would I achieve the following?..

I have 2 selection lists, one for Class and one for Student. I also have 2 static fields - one called Tutor Group and one called Subject.

The class list is auto-generated from a database, based on the logged on user (this is a local intranet). Once they have selected the class, I need the Subject field to be automatically changed to match the class (also database).

The student name list should be disabled/hidden until they have selected the class they are teaching, at which point I need the Student Name list to become available, and list all students in the selected class (also database).

Then, once they have selected the student, I need the Tutor group field to be automatically changed to reflect what's in the database.

Example

Page loads. The teacher name is auto generated from the logon account. Their class lists are picked up from the database, but no students are listed.

**Let's use a real class here, Ip/11b, which is an IT class.**

They select Ip/11b, which means nothing to a supply or cover teacher, so the Subject field get's updated with the correct info, and all students from that class are now listed in the Student Name selection list.

They select a student from the list, and the Tutor Group field get's updated with the correct info.

End of example

I'm fine with the database design/connections. I just need help getting the right info to appear at the right time!!

Thanks/...

what database are you using and what language are you using to get the information?

Quote Originally Posted by aussie girl
    what database are you using and what language are you using to get the information?
    It's an access database at the moment, but will move over to SQL 2005 once it's complete.

Language is English!! - Classic ASP

If there isn't too much data, you could just get it all in one lump, save it in arrays in JavaScript, and render as needed.
    If the amount of data is considerable, you'd be better off with some AJAX-ey JavaScript, that'd send small requests for exact data to be rendered at selection time.

Thread Information