www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Personal Bookmark portal - bitpad.net - review

Hybrid View

Post Personal Bookmark portal - bitpad.net - Review Request

Hi

I've recently relaunched my website, which has been running since mid 2003, with a new design to entice new users and keep exisiting ones. It is a personal bookmarks portal which is aimed at users who use several pc's (e.g. at work, home, cybercafe, etc) and allows them to save bookmarks to allow them access anywhere. Also there is a notepad for jotting down notes about presents, phone calls, etc.

I would like peoples opinions on the concept, design and usability if possible.

URL: http://www.bitpad.net

Thanks in advance

Stu
    Last edited by ed2461; 11-23-2006 at 09:05 AM.

You should offer a preview/demo on how things look when registered. At least offer some screenshots on the front page to get people interested.

<div id="navcontainer"> goes a bit weird in opera.

I like the simplicity of the design, but don't like the use of affiliate links (tradedoubler) on your home page. It would put me off a personal bookmarking site seeing affiliate links promoted. But then i am probably too fussy.

34 errors when the site is put through the W3c validator thingy.

Having said all that, it's a nice looking site.

Don't take offense to this question, I mean it constructively.
    What do you offer that is better than del.icio.us?

resolved

Thanks for your comments - I will attempt to look at each point

* Demo is a work in progress, and will be launched in a couple of weeks.

* Affiliates will be kept to a minimum, this is to help pay for the running of the site (about 30-40 per year) and get me a few pennies for work put in.
    I will only be using text links, not horrible flashin animations.

* Still need to validate the site, so I will check that out also and test further in Opera.

* Thought someone would ask about Del.icio.us - that was was started in 2003, I didnt know that Del.icio.us existed until recently. The difference between the 2 is that del.icio.us is a social bookmark site where as Bitpad is a personal bookmark site. Bitpad also offers an online notepad and will be offering further functionality in the future.

Thanks

Anyfurther comments, did anyone register and try to use? What were your thoughts?

Stuart

I may register but would like to know... What security is in place to protect users information and stored notes?

Security requires user to set a username and password. Once logged in a session is created and only yourself can access your own notes and bookmarks. Only basic details are collected such as name, email, country and d.o.b. The session is only active for a certain period (I think its about 30 mins, but can confirm when I check my notes), unless you log off. If you forget your password you can request this to be emailed to you after completing your username and password on the form.

The site has been tested for sql injection attacks and there is very little risk from this type of hacking.

Stu

Hey,
    I want to thank you for a great idea and I am sorry I did not see it.
    We are doing something similar, a secure link, file sharing and social network, based on security and privacy, and adding social networking capabilities on the side in a separate sandbox.
    Trying not to make it too geeky and still useful.
    Our website is also bitpad.net, and we've had it for a couple years I think. I just wanted to mention because this came up highly ranked looking for links to our site, and I did not want to take credit for your prior work or cause any confusion.

i think it is not working at my side so that i can pass any comment or review on it from my side.

JAM
    Web Design Dubai - The Best Web Development Company in Town.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwistech View Post
    i think it is not working at my side so that i can pass any comment or review on it from my side.

JAM
    Hi,
    I apologize. The site registration is currently closed to test some new modules and refine some "dead ends" where users did not know where to click next.
    I will have it cleaned up and re-activated this weekend, and give you a free account if you would like to test. All support requests are still processed, so if you are interested please email support and give instructions to provide a free account ID referencing this site. You will also be authorized to add and manage up to 4 guest or avatar accounts under your primary like any monthly subscriber would.
    Thank you!

Support email is support@bitpad.net
    Indicate the email you would like to register with, and your desired username and I'll be glad to set you up with a free trial/demo account this coming weekend.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to know how this protected content works? is it available for those users who online or friends

ok. There were issues with the payment portal so we decided to open free registration and bill people later, no risk, straight-forward. Don't pay and your account is deleted.
    If you have any issues at all, fixes to mention, improvements needed or whatever, please let support@bitpad.net know.

It is up to the member.
    Members have a profile page and decide and post what's public, for site members, friends or private.
    An extra private portal is for secure client file sharing circles.

Thread Information